[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1979 Gibson ES-345

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1979 Gibson ES-345

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by shodaboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:42 am

Hi, good people!

After some time I managed to save some money to buy a vintage guitar. I'm mainly looking for es335 type guitars. I've recently been offered a 1979 gibson es-345, which seems to be in perfect condition. The seller lives in the same city as me, so I will meet him in the next few days to see and test the guitar. Thing is I don't know much about this particular model, and I don't know If it's worth to buy it. Any information you could give about the guitar would be much appreciated. The price I've been asked for is 2500 euros, equivalent to 3432 us dollars at today's exchange rate. I'd also like to know what pickups does this guitar have, the seller doesn't have that information. Someone warned me about the fact that that year gibson wasn't manufacturing good instruments because the company was being operated by another brand or something like that. Here you have some pics of the guitar itself for you to judge. Thank you all for your valuable help!

ps. I have a picture of the guitar headstock where you can partially read the serial number...it's 72369x33 (where the x is the number I can't read) maybe there are some wrong numbers as well

shodaboy

by VintAxe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:45 am

Hi shodaboy.

I always hesitate to talk Fender and Gibson prices to people purchasing instruments outside the US since prices in the US and outside the US can differ considerably. These instruments are generally more expensive in Europe.

I haven't seen a 1979 ES-345 for sale but they are listed in my Blue Book. According to the Blue Book a 1979 ES-345 in Excellent Plus condition (95%) is valued at $2,750 USD.

The new reissues are selling for around $3,600 in the US.

For a discussion of specs, the Varitone circuit controversy, and other things 335, 345 and 355 related, visit the Gibson 335 website:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by shodaboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 am

thanks for the quick response. I know being this a us forum it's quite difficult to say if the price is good or not. What I was mainly concerned was about the quality of the instrument, because someone told me 1979 was not a good year for gibson intruments.
shodaboy

by VintAxe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah, I don't know of any specific issues related to late 70's 345s. You might try emailing the guy at the 335 website. He seems pretty actively involved in the site and if there are issues he's likely heard of them.

good luck with the purchase and let us know if you discover anything.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by opotable » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:55 pm

opotable

by opotable » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:51 pm

all this for only $650.
mid 1960's ,more pickups and a nicer name on the head too.............. :P

opotable

by Electraglide » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Nice guitars tho at $3400 the Gibson might be over priced. As far as the other guitar goes, what would the name be on the headstock? 3 pickups, 3 switches and 6 pots make it look interesting. Possibly confusing but interesting.
Electraglide

by opotable » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm

opotable

by john_rossdale » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:12 am

The original Gibson ES345 was never that popular as a guitar.. although me having used it for my - I really know just how good they were!
john_rossdale

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts