[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Morris G-203 classical (1978) ?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Morris G-203 classical (1978) ?

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by guitarfan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am

Hello all
French newbie, 50 yrs old.
It's not too late to wish you all the best for 2012.

This guitar is for sale.
In very good shape, looks like a new guitar.
The seller has no info about it (woods used, laminated or not, value....etc..etc)
The actual price is around $320.(decent?)
Keep in mind that prices are higher here in europe.
May I get your opinion please? Anyone has infos? (I've read a lot about
Morris guitars but nothing about the few classical guitars they built)
Thanks a lot in advance.

Guy

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Uploaded with
guitarfan

by VintAxe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi guitarfan.

Morris guitars of the 70's are not as well regarded as the acoustics they are building today. The price for this guitar would probably be around $200 USD in the States. In France $320 is probably reasonable. If you overpay, it probably won't be by much.

If you buy the guitar let us know how you like it.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarfan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I sent the seller a few messages but he never replied so I gave up.

I bought this old (43 yrs old) japanese guitar a few hours ago.
Not in very good shape but sound and playability are really good.That guitar can easily compete with my Esteve 8 (price range $1000).

I paid $100.
The inside sticker has gone, the seller remembers just a few words mentioned on it :"made in japan, nagoya, gakki".

So I don't know if it is a nippon gakki, tokai gakki, or..."something else gakki". :wink:

Maybe the headstock will help to identify it.

guitarfan

by VintAxe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi guitarfan.

Nagoya is a major industrial port city in Aichee prefecture and one of Japan's long established guitar making centers. Major builders located in Nagoya include Kasuga and Suzuki.

Discussions around Nagoya have come up several times over the years on the Forum and you can find these threads by typing "nagoya" in the the Forum search function.

Here is a thread about another Nagoya labeled instrument you might find interesting:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by sneakypete » Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 am

My wife told me gakki just means instrument in Japanese...I have a few that were made there, say so on the labels...have a couple from one maker that has a name that no Japanese person who has seen it can read...Dragon something is the best they can do...but the two I have say hand made in Nagoya...and are outstanding nylon strings.
sneakypete

by sneakypete » Wed May 02, 2012 1:02 am

The high end old Morris guitars can go for quite a bit in Japan, they did make some high end stuff it`s just that we mostly see the low end laminated models these days. The Rock Inn chain ha them make a reissue of one of those top ends a few years ago...not cheap either, cost as much as a Martin in this city.
sneakypete

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts