[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Confused about my Montgomery Ward guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Confused about my Montgomery Ward guitar

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by kalub92 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 pm

kalub92

by VintAxe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi kalub92.

To me it looks like your Montgomery Wards guitar was built by Kay. Based on the tailpiece, squared off pickguard profile and f holes I would agree that your guitar looks late 1930's- early 1940's. The main feature inconsistent with this date is the headstock profile. Kay guitars of this period had slightly fancier headstocks.

I really haven't had time to research the guitar yet but when I do I'll let you know what I find.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by kalub92 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am

Any word on the potential worth? Where would I even go about selling this guitar?
kalub92

by ighut » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12 pm

I know Vintaxe with have a more accurate value on it, but I just saw a very similar model, about 1935, going for 250.00, with the original case on craigs. Very tempting for a nice carved back.
ighut

by VintAxe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Hey kalub92.

I really don't know anything about value but I did find your guitar in the 1939 Montgomery Ward catalog. Listed with mahogany back and sides, spruce top and mother of pearl inlays. Rosewood fretboard and celluloid binding completes the description. The guitar originally sold for $9.45. If it were mine I'd want more than $250 with case but that probably means it would take some time to sell. I'd ask $400 and be prepared to wait a few years.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts