[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1967 Fender Coronado II

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1967 Fender Coronado II

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by erikzen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 am

I just bought a Fender Coronado on eBay. I ended up in a bit of a bidding war and probably paid more than I should have. No regrets, the guitar plays and sounds great, and it was purchased to be played.

by , on Flickr

I am curious though as to how much the guitar's cosmetic issues effect it's value.

by , on Flickr

The guitar is definitely worn. There are plenty of small nicks and dings to the finish but nothing too major in that regard, except for the back of the guitar, which it appears someone painted black.

by , on Flickr

The black paint actually seems to have been fairly professionally done. Whoever did it avoided painting over the binding quite well, and the finish is unusual. It's like a matte finish, with a texture to it. It almost feels like a plastic coating.

by , on Flickr
I'm not sure if the wear on the back is from use wearing away the black paint, or if someone realized their mistake and made a bigger mistake and tried to remove it. I suspect the former, actually.

by , on Flickr

There is some damage to the finish under the pick guard and I'm not sure if the pick guard is original as I've never seen one with a black pick guard. Of course, I haven't seen too many. Does anyone know?

by , on Flickr

The final issue is the neck. There appears to be a small crack in the wood. If I had to guess I would say it came from the factory like this because it's underneath the finish. The neck doesn't appear to have been refinished and if the crack was repaired it must be an expert job.

by , on Flickr

Bottom line, I got caught up in the irrational exuberance of the auction and paid $845 for the guitar. Did I overpay? Not that I care that much. I am looking for a guitar to play and after only a few hours, I realized this was a very nice playing and sounding guitar. I bought an instrument, not a museum piece or an investment.
erikzen

by Spud1950 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am

I found several on the net of that same year,in really nice conditon with the case with asking prices of around $1700 to $2000. Considering the damage done to yours, you can easily at least halve the value. I would say you paid around the right price for it, maybe a little over.
Spud1950

by john_rossdale » Mon May 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Congratulations! Coronados don't always sell quickly so it's hard to say, but considering its condition I think you paid a fair price. Im using one for my ..
john_rossdale

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts