The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Gibson ES 140 3/4

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by michael4422 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Well I can't upload photos so this won't be easy.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for this guitar with non-original tuners?

Good condition, sunburst, the finish is VERY nice, no cracking. Just a few small dings on the headstock and a few small "wear" indentations that aren't noticeable without looking very closely. Electronics still work. I hope that suffices.

I was thinking around $1200-$1600ish.

Thanks for any info!
michael4422

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi michael4422.

Your description of the finish/mechanics of the guitar suggests a 95% condition rating. The blue book suggests a $1,400 value for the guitar at 95% which is right in the middle of your suggested range. However, the actual value will be determined by how much the changed tuners bother the buyer. To a collector, the changed tuners will significantly impact what they would be willing to pay, to a player, maybe less so.

It sounds to me you have a realistic expectation of value, now its just a matter of negotiating with a buyer over the tuner issue.

My hunch is that a potential buyer of this guitar will be primarily interested in two things, the feel of the instrument and the late 1950's P-90. Hopefully the tuners won't be seen as a big deal given the other factors the guitar has going for it.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts