[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - help to value my vintage Takamine folk guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

help to value my vintage Takamine folk guitar

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by caroline » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 am

Hello,
I have a vintage Takamine folk guitar given to me back in 1975 / 1976. The label in the sound hole has the series number DF 919S. The guitar is in very good condition and has a hard case. I am considering selling it but need help to establish its value.
All advice welcome,
Caroline
Last edited by caroline on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caroline

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Caroline.

I'm not familiar with the model number of your guitar and it doesn't appear in my copy of the Bluebook. If it is a "prelawsuit" Tak it could be collectable, especially if it is a copy of a Martin model.

During the 1970's, Takamine built Martin's Sigma series guitars until companies changing hands forced Martin to find another supplier. Tak then went on to copy Martin models right down to the script on the headstock until Martin threatened to sue over copyright infringement. These guitars are the "prelawsuit" Takamines.

I would start by figuring out if you have a prelawsuit Tak by comparing the logo script on your guitar to a Martin of the same era. It would also be useful to figure out if your guitar is a copy of a Martin model. I have 1976 and 1977 Martin catalogs in the Catalog Library that would be an easy reference. It's only $10 for one months of access.

If you can establish what you have, you can then find values for other Tak guitars with similar characteristics rather than search for your exact model.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by BluesHawk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 pm

In addition to VintAxe's good advice, here's a couple more strategies.

Ask musician friends or at music stores, who is the best vintage guitar person in your area. Keep askin and you'll hear the same name or names a few times, then go to that person with your guitar. But do not take any one expert's advice.

In addition to the Blue Book, you can check the Vintage Guitar Price Guide. Or get a copy of Vintage Guitar Magazine and contact some of the dealers who advertise in that. George Gruhn in Nashville has an evaluating service that uses your pictures and your written description to give you an estimate.

Watch for your model Tak on eBay...the asking prices are often unreliable but you may learn more about your guitar. And if you see your model more than three times, you can get a general feel for that particular marketplace...it's all information.

Join the Takamine Guitar Forum and ask lots of questions: www.takamineforum.com/

Take your time and be persistent, and you'll know when you've put together a good estimate.

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by caroline » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 am

Thank you all for your advice. I live in France so also contacted a Forum there. Sent photos and have been advised that my guitar is most likely an F series Tak but the model number remains a complete (and frustrating) mystery as no one has seen a similar number anywhere. The date of the guitar is definitely 1975 (it was given to me when I was a teenager) but is also confirmed by the serial stamp inside the guitar which is a little hard to read but seems to be either 75872325 or 75072325. Will try to find out as much as possible before putting the guitar up for sale.
Thanks again
caroline

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts