[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 61 Strat, Must SELL

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

61 Strat, Must SELL

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 61Strat » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:15 pm

J. More
61Strat

by VintAxe » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by 61Strat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:38 am

I would appreciate any help the forum can give on connecting with persons qualified to aid in selling my strat. Would posting a couple photos be appropriate. Do you or others have any conncections with professional Fender vintage guitar persons? Do these "pro's" typically charge a fixed fee, percentage or other? please let me know ASAP thanks,
J. More
61Strat

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi J More,

It is going to take some work if you want to "get top dollar" for your Strat. I would start by contacting a variety of dealers and let them know what you have. Go to my Vintage Guitar Dealers section under Links and you'll find a host of potential dealers listed. No one is going to make you an offer on your guitar without inspecting it so I would start locally so you have the possibility of driving the guitar to a dealer rather than shipping it. I think The Guitar Broker is in Ft. Lauderdale, check, there may be others reasonably close to you.

By contacting a variety of dealers, you should be able to get a feel for their interest and how they normally do business. You can ask them about taking your guitar on consignment or buying it outright. Honestly, I've only had one attempt at working with a high-end dealer and it wasn't very successful. Someone was interested in buying my 1955 Gibson L5 and I wanted to get an appraisal before putting a price on it. I called my local high-end dealer who advertises he does appraisals in his monthly ad in Vintage Guitar magazine and here is how the conversation went.

ME - Hi I'm calling to get an appraisal on my 55 Gibson L5, can we set up an appointment for you to take a look at it. It's had some damage and repair so I'm curious to know how that has impacted it's value.

DEALER - I don't do that

ME - You don't do appraisals?

DEALER - No, I don't appraise damaged instruments

ME - Ok, thank you for your time, Goodbye

I tell you this story so you won't be discouraged if some dealers don't show much enthusiasm for talking to you. For all this dealer knew, I could have owned a closet full of Pre CBS Fenders, but he had no interest in even attempting to find out who I was. That is why I suggest contacting a variety of dealers and then figure out who you might be most comfortable working with.

Good luck, sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by 61Strat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, the small guy deserves a break now and then.
J. More
61Strat

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts