[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Hondo Center Stage 1983

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hondo Center Stage 1983

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jim601a » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Not sure if these are worth anything. Not looking to sell, but just thought I would ask. Maybe someone on here has had one or does. I bought this in 1983 new at a music store in Niles, Ohio called Biviano Music. I saw a Kay Star shaped guitar I wanted at another music store and asked the owner at the Biviano's if he could get me one (that is where I bought all my stuff then). He said no, but I should get this instead. It looked cool for about 1 maybe 2 years, then I was over it. It has been a conversation item every since.

IMG_5077.JPG

Thanks for any info.

Jim
jim601a

by BluesHawk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:09 pm

I did a little research and learned some information for you. And am waiting for a guy who has one of these to get back to me. But I'm not an expert and please do not make any big decisions based on my information.

Apparently these are considered collectable...I found an internet discussion where some guitarists & collectors really want them.

The quality part is the set-neck design and the reach you get up to the highest frets. Yours appears to be in good condition and that's important. Especially for a vintage guitar that's 30 years old. If it's all original parts, that's a big plus for you (don't change a thing unless it can't be repaired, and then keep the original parts in the case). And you have the OHSC which appears to be in good condition.

The not-so-quality part is they may be made of plywood. And the electronics may be cheap or feeble.

The uniqueness factor is a good news-bad news thing. Obviously the shape will be very appealing to a small niche of collectors. And the fact you've got just one pickup means the guitar's highly specialized (or "limited").

If yours is in good shape, both cosmetically and playability, there will be a collector or guitarist who really wants one of these and is willing to pay a bit above what it might be worth to most people. But the market is very small. Your leverage is that most of these were bought by kids who didn't know how to take care of a guitar, so most of the ones that are available today are trashed or highly modified.

This may go for a bit more than what it was worth new, but will probably not appreciate dramatically over the years. Mor info as I get it. Maybe others on the Forum can add something. Cuz I'm not an expert.

Your vintage Hondo's worth taking care of, and if you enjoy playing it, that's a bonus.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by BluesHawk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Jim, your guitar is a Hondo H1 Death Dagger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hondo-H1-Death-Dagger-Electric-Guitar-Upgraded-Metal-Mania-/251372449916?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a86f7307c
Last edited by BluesHawk on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by BluesHawk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm

http://guitargarage.blogspot.de/2011/11/hondo-h-1-death-dagger-and-family.html
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by jim601a » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you for the info.

Unless this was worth some insane $ I would be hard pressed to sell it. It has to much conversation value with my family and former band mates from the mid 80's. Although we only played for a couple of years and locally, I have never seen one of these besides mine. Maybe I was the only person who thought it was cool...back then.

Again, thanks for the info.
jim601a

by BluesHawk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts