[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay Guitar stumper

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay Guitar stumper

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by MRS.B » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 am

I have been watching ebay for this one for about a year now. Haven't found a match. Anyone know an approx. value? I have a Kay electric hollowbody guitar. It's been in our family for years. I think it would be a 50's era guitar. The model inside is K192 6661. It is blonde in color, mother of pearl inlays has two volume controls and two tone controls. One of the stumpers is that it has a metal plate stuck on the back of the neck that says KAY KANTI-LEVER patent pending. Everything on it is original and plays well. A little varnish missing in spots on the back of the body, other then that this guitar is one nice looking guitar! Please any help would be appreciated!
MRS.B

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Mrs. B,

Your guitar was produced in 1955-56 and appears in the 1956 Kay catalog I have in the Electric Guitar Catalogs section of VintAxe. The KAY KANTI-LEVER sticker refers to a lever neck adjustment system housed in the heel of the neck and operated with a skate-key looking wrench.

The most collectible Kays of this period are the Barney Kessel's introduced in 1957, they are bringing up to $2,000 these days :shock: . I would guess your guitar would sell for something between $450-$700 depending on condition and whether you can connect with a motivated buyer. Good luck, sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by MRS.B » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:21 am

WOW!! That was quick!! Now I wish I had done that sooner!

You may have solved another mystery. Seems I have what I thought was an old skate key laying around the house. As soon as I relocate it I'll see if it fits. If not I wonder if a socket will work. Don't really want to risk damage though.

Coupled with the guitar I have an old Mike Matthews Feedom amp for it and it's sitting in a vintage Gibson case. We were laughing at the tag on the case from an old music store in Cleveland, Ohio with a phone # of Tower 1-4315.

It truly is a beautiful looking guitar and my neighbor (who plays) seems to see nothing wrong with it. We hooked it up and he tuned it and it plays just fine. I know it was hardly used.

Thanks for the info., quite interesting, and again for the quick response.
MRS.B

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts