[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Laguna Acoustic?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Laguna Acoustic?

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cheepaxes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:27 pm

I've offered to help an online friend who recently donated a guitar he didn't use to a charity in New Orleans that is helping musicians get back on their feet. He's looking for info on it for tax write-off purposes. Any ideas?

Here are some spec's:

Dreadnaught steel string acoustic
Solid spruce top
Solid (he's pretty sure) Indian Rosewood back & sides
Mahogany neck, bound rosewood fingerboard
All binding looks like wood

The brand is "Laguna" -- made in Japan. He believes this was
a "private label" brand of an importer he dealt with back in the
early 80's. He got guitars for his students there - they mainly
dealt with classical guitars.

Sound is good, not great.

Anyone? Steve?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by VintAxe » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Hey Scott,

The only thing I know about Laguna Acoustics is in the brochure I have posted in the acoustic catalog section. The distribution company your friend is thinking about is probably Dauphin Music Company of Springfield IL. I'm sure you have probably already checked the Laguna catalog but you might also check the Dauphin catalog I have posted. Dauphin Music sold some handmade high-end classicals along with their import student models. I think Laguna began life as a California company founded by Kirk Sand and James Matthews. Apparently at some point the brand name was sold to Dauphin and they began to use the name on Japanese imports.

There is a thread on the old message board suggesting that Kirk Sand once lived in Springfield, IL making a connection between Laguna and Dauphin logical. Here's the post:

I have recently bought a Laguna l 25 ms. The only info I could come up with is from this site in a copy of a Laguna catalogue. I knew of Kirk Sands when we both lived in Springfield Il and I know he is in California building Sand Guitars. The Catalogue has a picture of Kirk Sands as the builder of this Guitar. I have emailed him at his shop, but no response as of yet. Does anyone have any more info on this Guitar? Original cost, or what it would be worth today? Anything.

Kirk Sand is still making guitars:

I realize none of this information answers your question concerning the value of your import Laguna. However, it does mean you'll need to distinguish between the American made Laguna's and Japanese Laguna's when determining value. Sorry I can't be of more help. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a record of my username and password for the catalogs so I didn't look there. I found a couple Laguna threads in the archives and sort of came to the conclusion that the Japanese and Californian Lagunas must be two different companies that chose the same name. I'll forward your post on to the guy with the Laguna.

BTW - I had a bet with myself that you would know something about this and you did. So I guess I won the bet. :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts