[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - YAMAHA/NIKKO GAUKI 12

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

YAMAHA/NIKKO GAUKI 12

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by SHAYNUS90 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:11 am

HEY, last time I was in my local pawnshop I could not help but notice a twelve string witch appears to be a yamaha but it has nikko gauki or something similar written on the inside label. I have been looking for a twelve string for a while now and was wandering if any one knows if this instrument is any good and what i should be paying for it if it is worth buying.

Thanks shaynus.
SHAYNUS90

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey SHAYNUS90,

Nippon Gakki is just the parent company of Yamaha. There is a company history here if you are interested in such things.

As far as value goes, I need to know more than just "12 string". If it has a label it should have a model number. Yamaha produced 12 strings at a variety of price points. The value likely ranges between $100-$300 USD depending on the model and condition.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by SHAYNUS90 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 am

The model number is fg-230
Thanks for the help.
SHAYNUS90

by VintAxe » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 am

That helps.

The FG 230 was introduced in 1969 and discontinued in 1972 so at least now we know it is an old model. For the models of this era, the larger the model number, the greater the value since they used higher model numbers on their more expensive instuments. The highest model number is FG 2500. From this we can conclude that the FG230 was a budget 12 string.

As far as current value, you should probably watch eBay to see what budget Japanese 12 strings are selling for. I would be shocked if it was worth more than $200 USD but I really don't track the prices of acoustic guitars very closely.

In my experience with Yamaha acoustics, the playability is good for a student grade instrument. The sound is OK, but not great. I still have my Yamaha FG 160 that I purchased with paper route money in my youth. I still remember entering the Acoustic guitar room and seeing Yamaha acoustics from floor to ceiling for as far as the eye could see. Millions of these guitars were imported, hence the low value these days.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by SHAYNUS90 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks
SHAYNUS90

by Blair » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I believe that's a red label Yamaha. With the Niko G...... name there. They are in high demand and worth a fair amount of moey. I'm trying to find the price for a 1971 Red Label Yamaha FG180 that I may be buying. I will probably have to spend 300 or more for it. So I would try to reserch it some more and it's worth getting. Or so I'm being led to believe. I've been told to get one if I find one and plan to get this one depending on what he's asking for it. People compare it sound wise and playing wise to the martins of the time. The Red labels were made from 1968 to 1972.
Blair

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts