The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Horugel electric guitar

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bryanc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:10 am

The back says "Made in Japan" and the neck says "Steel Reinforced Neck"
i can take more pictures if you need more clues to ID which Horugel this is.

all i know about this guitar is that its a vintage Japan guitar made in the early 80's. And it was bought in Italy during the 80's.

thanks!
bryanc

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Hey bryanc,

I don't really know anything about the Horugel brand of guitars, but there is nothing about your guitar that suggests it was built in the 1980's to me.

Stylistically, the guitar looks to be from the mid 1960's. So, either someone was trying to build a retro guitar in the 80's or your guitar was built much earlier than you believe. What makes you believe it was built in the 1980's?

I can't locate an exact match for you instrument, but here are a couple of guitars that illustrate what I mean by "stylistically". The guitar on the top has the heavy chrome pickguard common in the early/mid 1960's MIJ guitars. The guitar on the bottom has a body style, headstock, tuners and tailpiece similar to your guitar. I'm not suggesting either of these two guitars "match" yours, but you can probably see why I suspect your guitar was built during this period as well.

Let me know the basis of your 1980's attribution.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Unless, of course, it was made in Russia. They ran at least 20 years behind the west!
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:17 pm

Bryan's response:

the reason why i thought it was built in the 80s was because it was supposivly bought in the 80s. i know this dosnt mean it was made in that era. it was just a idea.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jedistar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:45 am

Metal scratch plate similar
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/charlottec ... rugel.html

on a forum there was a suggestion that they were made by Samick
jedistar

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Another Bryan question:

humm, interesting. does anyone know what its worth might be tho. if i were to sell it?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Value is probably somewhere in the $225-$325 range depending on condition. The most critical consideration would be whether you can get the intonation close enough to make it playable. Other flaws can probably be corrected by someone that it interested in it. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts