[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay (acoustic f-hole archtop) - Would like to know more...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay (acoustic f-hole archtop) - Would like to know more...

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by robojet » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:36 am

I've had this guitar for 25 years. I don't know much about its history before that... here's what I have:

Kay Acoustic f-hole Archtop
Markings inside: P4
L1309 6836
The emblem is missing, but the glue that held it clearly says Kay.

I would like to know what the numbers mean, when it was made, value, really anything about it I can find out.

On a side note: I found a reference to this website to look at the Kay Catalog. I'm unable to find it. Was it removed?

THANKS!
robojet

by VintAxe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:39 am

Hi robojet,

Your guitar is a Kay K6836 super auditorium size archtop guitar. It was part of the Kay Big Value Leader series and was produced from 1957-1965. It originally sold for $50, these days it's probably valued somewhere between $100-$150. There is just not much demand for Kay archtops these days. I bought a pretty nice one a couple of years ago for $80 without case. It really projects a big sound. For more details check out the Kay catalogs I have uploaded in the Electric Guitar Catalog section of this site. Here's the link:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by robojet » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:38 pm

Ya know... I've looked high and low over the years for information about this guitar, and was never able to find anything! What wonderful info!!! I'm not a guitar buff by any means... fiddle around with it - but I must say, it does have "big sound"!

Thank you so much for the info and link!!!
robojet

by rickosound » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:30 am

Hi Vintaxe-

I also have a similar guitar to Robojet...I believe it to be a K-1 that's been fit with a DeArmond pickup and tone/voulme control.

I tried to access the link to the Kay catalog pages you mentioned, but it says I need username/password to acccess the directory. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
rickosound

by rickosound » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 am

oops - I get it now!

I originally linked to this page directly when searching the Internet for info on my Kay guitar. I later visited the rest of your site and realized that your catalogs are a subscription service.

My apologies!
rickosound

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts