[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Unusual Les Paul

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unusual Les Paul

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by leebo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm

I was hoping to get some help with some info on my guitar. I got used as a gift about 15 years ago and have never really been sure on exactly what model it is.

It's an 1987 Gibson Les Paul, but that's about all I know for sure(unless it's fake), and I've never seen another one quite like it. I was told once that it's a studio lite, but it doesn't look like other studio lites that I've seen. I have pictures here...

The pics of the back of the headstock are blurry, but the SN# is 83457513. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would specifically be interested to find out model, # made, approx value, make/model of pickups, etc.
leebo

by VintAxe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi leebo,

You most definately have "an unusual Les Paul".

I checked out your serial number and your guitar was born on Friday December 11, 1987. Be sure to get it out of the case and play it on it's birthday.

I don't think your guitar is a Studio Lite, but it may be a Custom Lite. I don't have a picture of a 1987 Custom Lite but here is a 1989:

Clearly the electronics setup is the same but the pups and headstock are way different.

Have you seen a guitar that is closer than this one to your instrument?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:34 am

hahaha... whenever I think about Gibson's "slim" days in the 80s and early 90s, I'm always reminded of the opening scene of the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer where they refer to the present day as "The Lite Ages"... hahaha...

This was back during Gibson's brief love affair with Kahler and Steinberger... odd that this model has neither!... I don't think I've ever seen a Lite model without a tailpiece made by either one or the other.

Someone once told me that the pups were Lace, but I've never been able to verify that (every model I've worked closely with has had standart humbuckers).
Michael Ambrose

by leebo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:03 pm

leebo

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts