[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Solid guitar with no name.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Solid guitar with no name.

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by SolidG » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Hello VintAxe Forum,

Several first times for me, so I hope everything I am posting is in proper order; and includes appropriate and complete support information.

I have been doing some research to find the origins on this particular solid guitar that I have acquired recently.

I bought this guitar because the body style fits all particulars I was hunting for at the time. I wasn't concerned that the neck was missing an inlay, and only two strings were intacted when I found it. In fact I didn't even bother plugging it in, for obvious reasons.

I later found that all of the pot nuts had been loose, and the wiring inside was wrapped and twisted, resulting with a successful and rewarding repair.

While the guitar was disassembled, I didn't notice any distinctive markings that could help confirm a possible manufacture.

The hardware on the neck doesn't seem consistant to that of the body, and the neck fits in the cut-out; however, the neck is putting presure on the neck pickup mount. I believe the neck is a replacement, so the manufactors stickers on the neck haven't helped in my search, but I have included the picture of these tags regardless.

The more I look the more I am puzzled that I can't find anything else with this exact body style. I have found many similar, and a few bodies with the same (fake) neck-thru body design; but I can't seem to locate anything with the exact same curves and hardware as this one.

So any information is appreciated, and many thanks to the powers that make this forum available.

Sincerely,
SolidG

SolidG

by Phizix » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 pm

It looks kind of like this japanese Alembic copy under the brand name Memphis although it has different bridge hardware and some kind of Gibson Flying V style neck

http://www.jvguitars.com/images/81Matsu ... wFF335.jpg
Phizix

by theehman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm

I think my local store has a V with the same headstock. I'll have to stop in this week and see if it's still there.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by SolidG » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Besides the few differences, as Phizix has pointed out, I believe that is the closest body shape match that I have seen since starting the search.

I hadn't considered the flying-v neck, but I see it now.

I would be suprised if this neck were anything more than a cheap copy of the flying-V look. My first impression was that someone had a toy guitar neck laying around that would fit into the slot.

What is odd about the neck is that the truss-rod cover appears to be hand made, and looks to be original. And it's pink.

Thanks a ton for the replies!! I believe Phizix has pointed me in the direction.

I'll post my findings.
SolidG
SolidG

by theehman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 pm

On the road I was thinking about this and the name "Arbor" popped into my head.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by Bassassin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 pm

That there's a Cort, specifically a Model X, from the early 80s:

http://cortguitarsusa.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1256

Interesting how it has painted on "through-neck" stripes. There were similar shaped through-neck guitars & basses built by Cort, and sold under other names - I had this unbranded bass:

The headstock's the same as the later version Cort X on the Cort forum:

Although both shape headstocks appear on this range of throughneck guitars. These are from the early 80s.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by SolidG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:45 pm

One of the stores I took this too is a Cort dealer, and it will be fun taking it back with this new information.

That headstock is exact, and the truss-cover is even the same!!

Thanks a ton for the post Jon!! Exciting news....

SG
SolidG

by Memnoch_the_Devil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 pm

It is indeed a Cort Model X, and a rather nice one at that. I recently came into possession of this one, and have had a hell of a time identifying it until just recently. Can anyone tell me anything else about mine?
Image[/img]
Memnoch_the_Devil

by DeMontGuitars.com » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:55 am

DeMontGuitars.com

by ighut » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

If a Cort, unlikely from Japan, and very unlikely a Matsumoku. Cort did the bulk of their stuff in Korea, a small amount in Japan, and not at Matsumoku site. Just from the pics it doesn't look like a finished Mat product, more like a Korean with inexpensive tuners and a thicker neck.
ighut

by DeMontGuitars.com » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:41 pm

DeMontGuitars.com

by ighut » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:19 pm

ighut

by DeMontGuitars.com » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 am

DeMontGuitars.com

by mrblanche » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 am

mrblanche

by ighut » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Good point. That and the look of the neck make me wonder whether it's Korea or early China. When is the earliest they came into being sold overseas?
ighut

Next

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts