The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

help with a Raven guitar

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by dan0220 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:43 pm

While cleaning up through some junk around the house I came across this guitar that was kind of nestled away

I know it was my fathers old guitar, but I'm not sure how "vintage" it really is. All I know is it could be anywhere from the late 50's to 70's most likely.

It feels nice and light being a hollow body style, and all the head says is Raven with no model number or any other indicators.

It's in pretty good shape despite only having one string at the moment.

I did a bit of looking around the internet and haven't found much other than a bit of info that the guitars may have been produced in Korea and imported into Canada where they were sold.

Any info would be great, if only to settle my curiosity.
dan0220

by VintAxe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi Dan,

Based on the hardware and build characteristics I would say your guitar was built by Greco in Japan during the late 1960's.

Here is a picture of a 1968 Greco EG-200 you can compare to yours. I think we are darn close to a match. Whoever was importing "Raven" commissioned Greco to build them. Looks like they may have used cheaper pickups, knobs and switches on yours but other than that they are close. It's also possible your model is a year or so before or later than the guitar pictured here.

Last edited by VintAxe on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by sneakypete » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 pm

and I believe at that time Grecos were made by Fujigen. The switch to the Greco logo happened 1974/1975.
sneakypete

by dan0220 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 am

It does indeed look pretty darn close to that Greco.

Hmm. Interesting.

Thanks a lot guys, this place is awesome!
dan0220

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts