[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help with an SG

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help with an SG

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by nitrosg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Hey, new here, signed up to help my dad figure out how old it is... Found a couple other resources here, but each one gave me a different answer... So I'll post pics and maybe y'all can help me out...

The only thing that we know for sure isn't original is the color (it was Cherry red, but was stripped down and stained...)

The Serial Number is 971331, it is imprinted on the back of the headstock with "MADE IN THE USA" imprinted underneath....

Any Help would be great[/img][/code]
nitrosg

by VintAxe » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 pm

According to Gibson Serial Numbers it is a 1968.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:51 am

It's not a 1968.That site specifically says"Gibson Serial Numbers, Feb 1961 to 1970.
All models, stamped in back top of peghead. No "MADE IN USA" stamp below serial number." You need to scroll down a bit to "Gibson Serial Numbers, early to mid 1970's".It's a '70-'72. Prior to 1970, the "Made In USA" was not stamped into the wood , only the serial number. This info off the Gibson site confirms the same thing.

I can't find any info as to exactly which year your serial number is. I guess the "71" in it might mean 1971, but can't find anything to confirm it. Also,it would be an SG Standard model with the optional Maestro vibrato tailpiece. Are you planning on getting into working condition? You'd have a real nice guitar!

Edit- Forgot to add, I don't think the pickups are original. They originally came with chrome covers, but even if the covers are removed,as some people do, the Gibson humbucker bobbins of that era would be black. Also, Gibson humbuckers, even the ones still made today have braided metal shielding over the pickup leads, not plastic covered like the ones on your pickups. Here's a nice original 1971 SG Standard.

Spud1950

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks for the correction Spud1950, looks like I stopped too soon. :oops:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by nitrosg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 pm

The plan is indeed to get it into working condition... Does anyone here know or a way to find out what the fretboard / neck radius of this guitar would be? The fretboard is in pretty bad shape, and my dad says he can use his CNC machines to rework the wood and stuff... We thought for the longest time that this was like a 50's or 60's SG, but I guess not... Kinda ruined it's mystique a little bit... Oh well, the truth hurts... lol...
nitrosg

by Spud1950 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:48 pm

I believe the SG fretboards have a 12" radius. Reworking the board also the requires knowledge of how to correctly remove the frets and refret after the board has been worked. It's way more tricky on a bound neck. If you or your dad are not up on how to do this work, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself.
Spud1950

by cheepaxes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 pm

What's wrong with the neck? I agree w/ Spud. I would be highly disinclined to mess with it unless you knew what you were doing. With a set neck it's not like you can easily find a replacement if it gets messed up.

That guitar does look like it has some potential though. :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

by nitrosg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 pm

My fault, I misspoke about the neck... My dad and I were apparently having two different conversations... (Heh) He wanted to know the neck radius because he really likes the way it feels, and I guess he's going to start making his own guitars (don't ask, it's another one of his ideas...) So he's making me get all this info and stuff...

Not to go off topic, and i love the help that I've gotten from everyone here, but anybody know any good resources for finding a formula for fret spacing??
nitrosg

by Spud1950 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Here you go. This is a great free fret spacing calculator program you can download. It will calculate spacing based on desired scale length and number of frets. Very easy to use and you can print out the data. For guitars, always choose "12th root of 2" in the "Calc Method Box".

Spud1950

by johnnyb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

cheepaxes

by johnnyb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:20 am

johnnyb

by Spud1950 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Spud1950

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts