The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Supertone Guitar

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mike Fiasco » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:37 pm

I bought an acoustic Supertone guitar from a gal on craigslist sight-unseen. I've seen just a little bit of info on Supertones, and I know that they were Harmony-made guitars sold by Sears. Up until 1941 they were sold under the Supertone name, then after WWII their name changed to Silvertone.

I've seen Supertone parlor guitars, but this number is a full scale, 14-frets-to-the-neck guitar. It's smaller than a dreadnaught, and 14 1/2 inches across at the lower bout.

Does anyone know an online resource to research the serial number?

Sorry, I don't have pictures. I'm still an analog guy, but when I develop the pictures, I'll scan and upload them.
Mike Fiasco

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi Mike,

I don't know if anyone has done much historical work on Harmonies. Although at times Harmony made up to one half of the guitars produced in America they have always been considered budget models and haven't received the attention from guitar historians they probably deserve. I'll check with Michael Wright and see if he's written anything on Harmony that might be of use to you.

I do know that most older Harmony acoustics have an date ink-stamped inside the body. I presume you have already taken a careful look inside your guitar but if not, take a look.

I'll let you know if Michael has a suggestion for early Harmony info. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts