[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Silvertone=Teisco???

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Silvertone=Teisco???

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by kjguitarworx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I would like to get some info on this lovely peice of guitar history that I now own. Any help would be appreciated. I beleive it to be from the 1960s, and it is MIJ. Anybody know if it is a Teisco labelled as a Silvertone?? I know the Mosrite style body was popular back then, and made by quite a few(Univox, Mosrite, Teisco),but I had never seen a Silvertone in this shape before. Anybody???ImageImage
A pretty cool old, beat up peice o junk, but I like it!!!!
kjguitarworx

by Spud1950 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:57 pm

Yes,it's a Teisco made guitar. Depending on what year it is, you could say it's a Teisco/Kawai product as Kawai purchased Teisco in 1967. Doesn't look beat up to me. Appears to be very nice condition.
Spud1950

by kjguitarworx » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:05 am

The Silvertone Mosrite has some really bad finish cracks, but they add to the vintage "relic" look naturally.
My problem is that the guitar won't play in tune right now. For me to intonate the guitar, I would have to remount the bridge further back and at a slight angle, toward the tailpiece in order for it to play in tune up and down the fretboard. I need to lengthen the string length, but the old bridge cannot compensate for it, so it won't play in tune. If I move the bridge, it alters the originallity of the guitar. it will also expose a section of finish under the bridge that has not faded, so it is darker than the finish surrounding it. The guitar sounds pretty cool, and I would like to play it, but don't want to alter it. Any suggestions??
kjguitarworx

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 am

That thing is meant to be played.

Don't take this the wrong way... I've got a pile of old Teisco's, myself... and I say this to everyone who posts about not wanting to "alter" their old Teisco... but ultimately, they're not worth much... even the reverse-strat style is fairly common... and above all, guitars are meant to be played!!

Get on Ebay and find yourself a bridge that will fit the fretboard width.... and play it out!

Honestly, these little guys are great players... and that pickup you've got in there is great. I've got a bunch of those I've ripped out of smashed/ruined teiscos I've gotten my hands on over the years... throw into random projects now and again... Properly potted and with a decent set of electronics, these are GREAT little pickups.

Make that guitar work!!
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm

I have to wonder what's up with the intonation that would require the entire bridge to be moved to fix it. Is the action really high?

I've heard it said that picking strings of the proper gauge can help to intonate guitars, even where you have a non-compensating bridge like yours. I'm not sure, but I think using heavier strings keeps the strings from being bent as sharp, when fretted, as lighter strings. If the whole guitar is fretting sharp at the 12th fret, try going up to heavier strings. *Supposedly,* *theoretically,* you might be able to create a custom set of strings that would have that guitar playing in tune. Whether it would be a set that you enjoy playing (e.g., not too heavy, not too light, easy enough to bend, nothing wierd like two .014 strings on adjacent strings) is a different question.

I myself have never intonated a poorly intonated guitar through string selection, but I've been told it can be done.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm

johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm

johnnyb

by Hollbrist » Wed May 11, 2011 4:52 am

Wow this site rocks. I have a similar guitar i have spent hours trying to identify and here is one very similar. Same body same neck. same bridge. Mine is marked as a Crown Professional though but I have found pics of one or two with the same body and neck. Tiesco must have manufactured these guitars for different suppliers or companys. here is a pic of my guitar.
[img][img]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb352/hollbrist/guitar1.jpg[/img][/img]
Hollbrist

by Hollbrist » Wed May 11, 2011 4:56 am

sorry now that I look a little closer the shapes are different but there are a lot of similarities
Hollbrist

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts