[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - when does a guitar become "vintage"

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

when does a guitar become "vintage"

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by johnnyb » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 pm

just curious when a guitar becomes vintage enough to post on this sight. ive been seeing some 80's stuff here and there. is early 90's acceptable? i know antique is 100 years. classic is 25. whats vintage? hmmm
johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 am

I tend to think that if you can put QQ plates on it, its vintage.

(For those of you not from Jersey, "QQ" is the license place designation for a car that is 25-years-old.)

On average, its takes any guitar at least 30 years to start to appreciate beyond their original value... 25 years to call a guitar vintage sounds fair.
Michael Ambrose

by Bob K » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:43 am

In my experience, when a dealer is trying to sell me a 40 year old guitar, it's "vintage". When that dealer is looking at the 40 year old guitar I'm trading in, it's "used". :D

Bob
Bob K

by cheepaxes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm

My standard answer is that the term comes from wine making and refers to when the wine was made. Applying that to guitars, a guitar becomes vintage as soon as it's made. You could have a guitar that's of a '60s vintage, or '70s, or 1897 or 1997 or 2010. Using this definition, the term vintage doesn't reall mean anything without knowing the actual year (or at least the rough time period). Or, put another way, the actual age of the instrument is what has meaning, not whether we can apply the (somewhat arbitrary) term "vintage" to it.

That's my answer and I'm sticking with it. :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

by mdjohnson1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 pm

I think 25 years is a standard assumption for "vintage" (therefore no 90's) ... but I prefer Bob's answer! I guess it depends who you ask. :lol:
mdjohnson1

by Ande » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Ande

Never let them take you alive
Ande

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts