[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Rayner Hollowbody? Apparently '70s?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Rayner Hollowbody? Apparently '70s?

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by CassiusCinna » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, since I have been looking everywhere to figure out what type of Guitar this is.
My sister has had it, for I have no idea how long, I had never payed any attention to it, till she mentioned she wanted to spray-paint it black for looks.

I figured before she went wild and ruined it, I better do some research.

This is what I have so far:
It is a Rayner Hollow Body that was either
a) Made by a Luthier outside of London, England (Cambridge?)
b) Made by Stafford Guitars in Dublin Ireland, the guys says it's worth 5,000-15,000$? Seems a little ludicrous to me.
c) It could potentially be one out of only 125 (They said to check the neck pocket, but I can't figure out what they mean by that.)

I don't have any pictures of the guitar yet, but it looks exactly like the one pictured here: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Except for the fact that it is in Sunburst.

Also, the guy who mentioned it being a Stafford Guitar. I found here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 207AAvcdpW

...Now her guitar, as far as I know (haven't plugged it in, since my amp is in the basement and I'm lazy), has faulty electronics, is missing two of the knobs (One of them seems to have been replaced by a different kind of knob) but it looks exactly the same..

So, ladies and gentlemen, if it really is 1 out of 125, I figured in its state, it wouldn't be worth much. But restoring, and having a 1 out of 125 guitar would sure beat my Epi Sheraton and MIM Strat for bragging rights

Edit: Tried out turns out, the one knob that was replaced as far I could see was the volume knob.
The switch works perfectly, so it turns on and off fine.
Volume seems to work fine as well, although it appears to have a very low output.
The other knob that does seem to be original, seems to roll the tone for the bridge pickup, that works fine as well. I'm rather surprised at the working order of the guitar.

If anyone shows interest or has any idea what this guitar is, I could definitely within the next couple days, get some pictures and a video showing everything on the guitar
CassiusCinna

by Spud1950 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 am

Can't find any definite info,but everything about that guitar says Japanese made to me. Same pickups,tailpiece and bridge as found on many Japanese brands.Also the location and style of the truss rod nut, the fret board inlays and the whole overall feel of the styling. I found a picture of one in a sunburst finish,but no further info.

It's a great looking guitar and rather unusal, but I can't figure how someone would think it was worth $5000-$15,000.That's insane. I would get it working and playing properly and would certainly NOT spray it black.
Spud1950

by CassiusCinna » Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

That's awesome! Yeah, I'm definitely going to do my best to convince her to let me try to put the thing in working order.

Trying to look up info for it, I've definitely taken a bit of a shine to it, so I want to get it up and running and add it to the patch.

Anyone have any idea what make it is for sure? I'd rather not change the knobs it's missing to something completely different. It'd be nice if I could track down the original tone knobs, so I figured if someone could narrow down a bit more for me it would be easier.

Thanks again, if any one has any info. Also, I think you guys have a forum for projects so maybe I'll post some pics and progress reports up there once I start working on it.
CassiusCinna

by brg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm curious whether you got this guitar playing again? Also, did you ever find out anything more about the brand and model?

Thanks
Bill
brg

by theehman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:45 am

That headstock inlay says "Kent" to me.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information