[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - help id my guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

help id my guitar

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bcarico » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:24 pm

This is an old guitar and amp that my grandfather owned. it is believed to be at least 40 years old. Any info will be very helpful!! the only markings i can find say japan. thanks a bunch!

More Images:

bcarico

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Looks like a Zen-On... one of the many names found on Guyatone-made guitars from the mid 60's.
Michael Ambrose

by VintAxe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:12 am

Michael is right.

Your guitar is a Zen On model ZES 60 from around 1965.

The bridge is not original which is probably a good thing if you want to properly intonate the guitar.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Don't tell anyone but I have a sort of a thing for Zen-on guitars. I think they're mighy cool looking. That one looks like it might have a gold-foil pickup too. I'd love to run into one of those at a yard sale for cheep. :)

(name withheld by request)
cheepaxes

by bcarico » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm

it does have gold on pick up. thanxs for all the info guys i have an old amp that was with in it says TAKT on it. any idea what it's all worth
bcarico

by cheepaxes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:50 pm

From the pictures it appears to be in pretty good shape. I'm not an expert but I'd say that with a run-of-the-mill pickup, most Japanese guitars of that quality from that period would go in the $150-250 range. I think the Zenons are a little more rare and a little more unique, which might add $50-100 bucks to the price.

The gold foil pickups are considered highly desirable by some and go for as much as $100 by themselves so consider that when determining value.

EDIT: there are a couple Zen-ons on eBay in completed listings with two gold foil pickups, one with an amp, neither of which went for much more than $200. So my value estimates would appear to be high. Maybe it's the new economy...

I've never heard of that amp brand. Is it tube? Does it work? Made where? What size is the speaker? Has it had any kind of work done recently, e.g., to replace electrolytic capacitors which may have gone bad over time?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 pm

The Blue Book Of Guitar Amplifiers mentions TAKT amps.

There's some pictures of a GA-15 model on this page.Scroll down.

Spud1950

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts