[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need ID? Teisco?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need ID? Teisco?

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by iklomate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:42 am

Hello, new user, and glad to be a member.
Took in a Teisco as part of a trade, it was more of a throw in. Ive been all through this forum and did not see any others like it, so i would like to know if it is indeed a Teisco, and what year it is.

Its a very interesting guitar, and adds color to my collection. It plays ok, but needs a little love. For now, its making a great wallhanger.

Any info would be appreciated. thank you.

iklomate

by VintAxe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi iklomate.

Your guitar is a Teisco ET-200. Based on the finish and hardware I would say it was built in 1964.

The headstock on this instrument is very unusual. By mid 1965 Teisco had gone to hook headstocks with a 4 over 2 tuner arrangement. Your headstock suggests a hook, but it's not the typical profile and has 6 inline tuners.

Is there any evidence that the shape of the headstock has been tampered with? If this is a stock Teisco shape, I've never seen it before.

The little cover over the truss rod nut at the neck has been added by someone, Teisco just left that rout open.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by iklomate » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. As far as I can tell, the headstock has not been modified. There appears to be a place where a round sticker used to be. Other than that, it does not show any signs that it has been reshaped in any manner. Do you think the neck could be a replacement?

I am glad that it is a Teisco, since I researched and did not find one with the configuration the same as mine. I plan on fixing it up, because it really is a catchy looking guitar. The trem has a round bar with a hole, it seems that its ready for a trem bar.

Anyway, thank you for the information, and I will be showing more of it once I get it fixed up a little.
iklomate

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi iklomate.

I have no reason to believe the neck would be a replacement since the side bar inlays are correct for a Teisco of this era. You also mention a round logo ghost image on the headstock which sounds right since Teisco logos were round at this time.

I wonder what is going on behind that makeshift truss rod cover? I would at least pull that off and look for signs of tampering. If things don't look right, you may want to pull the neck to get a better idea of whether mods have occurred.

If the neck is original, it is certainly unique regarding the headstock shape. I would wonder if it were an early version of what evolved into the Teisco hook headstock introduced in mid 1965. If so a nice piece of Teisco history given it was "thrown in" on a trade.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by iklomate » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Ill pull that cover off and see whats under there. Ill take some pics. Again, i appreciate the info. this site is amazing with how you guys know so much about these vintage guitars.
iklomate

by iklomate » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:41 pm

I took off the truss rod cover. Its weird, the backside of it had writing on it. Pics are attached. I didnt see anything out of ordinary, but it seems the truss plate should be with the writing out?

lol; not sure

iklomate

by DeMontGuitars.com » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 am

DeMontGuitars.com

by misterdonprof » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 am

Hi, this is a Marco Polo guitar, made by Guyatone, is Japanese and from 1964-1966 Im not shure, neither the model, I have one but only one pickup but exactly the same design, have a good day¡
misterdonprof

by DeMontGuitars.com » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 am

DeMontGuitars.com

by Jimmy_noise » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I’d like to confirm that the guitar is not a Guyatone!

I’d like to confirm that the guitar is not a Teisco!

What you have is semi rare guitar. There are a few possible sources of this guitar. I can only tell you the options, but can’t with certainty say which option it is.

Firstly the guitar is all original!! It’s missing a bridge cover and a trem arm.

The truss cover should be writing out. These is the only Japanese guitar that I am aware of that had a rear truss rod cover.

Looking at the components of the guitar will tell you where it is possibly from.

The neck is the main starting point. The side inlays are always associated with Teisco. However there were other guitars manufacturers using side inlays. These include Zeon and Fujigen Gakki. So this limits where the neck could have been made.

Now the headstock is a one off. It was built with this body that is a match for a Teisco MJ model guitar. Now there is some talk that Teisco may have outsourced some guitar work to Fujigen Gakki. This work being the construction of necks and bodies. The design looks like a preliminary design of the Teisco 4 x 2 Hook headstock.

Now there are a couple other versions out there that have this body and neck configuration, but with different hardware. I seem to recall about 3 but can’t be 100% sure.
• Crown Logo – Same as yours http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... true&rt=nc

• Givtone – Different fit out http://drowninginguitars.files.wordpres ... ivtone.jpg

The truss cover should be writing out. These is the only Japanese guitar that I am aware of that had a rear truss rod cover. Plus a Marco Polo with a 3x3 neck, same body, different Hardware.

Looking at you guitar the next thing to look at is the guitar pickups. Now these were used Kawai and some other guitar manufacturers. So it could be assumed that Kawai sourced these pickups for an electronics supplier. Hence they would have been available to other guitar makers. Teisco built there own pickups and didn’t use this type.

The toggle switches. Notice they have the printing stamped into the switches. Well these have the same story as the pickups. Again Kawai did use these, but are also found on other manufactures. (Not Teisco)

Now the tuners should have the clear plastic covers on the back. This is an important piece of information as theses plastic tuners were used in the late 50’s to the very early 60’s.

Now because it has an adjustable truss rod it places the guitar in the early 60’s.

Now the bridge is something special. You don’t see those on many other guitars, if any at all. The tail piece again is used on other makes. But which ones slip my mind at the moment. Even the knobs are metal stamped.

We can eliminate Zeon because of the truss rod and the pickups.

So here are the options for you and all this is speculation;

1. Fujigen Gakki made and Teisco did not like the new Headstock design so it was fitted out with other hardware by Fujigen Gakki;
2. Fujigen Gakki made it with outsourced hardware that they fitted as one of their earlier guitars.
3. Fujigen Gakki made and sold the bodies and necks to Kawai to fit out with hardware.
4. Fujigen Gakki made and the bodies and necks were sold to another small time guitar manufacturer whom fitted out the hardware.
5. Some other small time guitar maker copied Teisco / Fujigen Gakki styles and produced this model. (Unlikely but possible).

There are actually a couple other options that I won’t discuss, because it will confuse people. So that’s all I can really offer on this one at this time.

Don’t forget to check out the Teisco World Web Site.
Ta
Jimmy Noise
Jimmy_noise

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts