[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Airline

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Airline

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by uknown_fame » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:09 pm

I recently was giiven a guitar by my mother (who said this guitar was a piece of junk not worthy of even being played) that was owned by my grandfather. My estimated guess as to the age was about 30-40 years. Without telling anyone what I was doing, I restrung the guitar (which I had never done before) and discovered that even though it was not in the greatest shape it played beautifully. I've done research and cannot find anything on this exact guitar. The numbers on the inside of the guitar are F-66-HM and 4404H1439. Any information on this guitar (approximate value, age ,etc.) would be appreciated. THANKS!!!!

~Cryss
I'm going to be a famous rocker...you'll see!!!
uknown_fame

by uknown_fame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:17 pm

I just talked to my mother about the guitars that were given to me and found out they are much older than I thought...this one does not have any dates but the inside of the acoustic one said FEB1937. I also forgot to mention that the other guitar is a hollow bodied electric. I would still greatly appreciate any information that could be given to me about this guitar! THANKS!

~Cryss
uknown_fame

by hans-jürgen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:58 am

How about some pictures, especially from the numbers you've found?
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
hans-jürgen

by uknown_fame » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:08 am

Best picture I have of the guitar is set as my avatar. (I'm not exactly computer oriented...in fact, I hate computers)
uknown_fame

by Bob K » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:10 pm

The F-66 gives it away as a Harmony, I believe.

This guitar had the F-66 model number also:

Good Luck,
Bob
Bob K

by VintAxe » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi unknown_fame,

I agree with Bob that your Avatar guitar looks like a mid 1960's Harmony but the ID number doesn't make sense to me. Harmony used the letter H to designate their guitars during this period. The 66 sounds right since most of the guitar models in this style were numbered in the 50's thru the 70's. Could your F be an H? Old labels can sometimes be tricky to read. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:21 pm

cheepaxes

by uknown_fame » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:41 pm

uknown_fame

by cheepaxes » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 pm

cheepaxes

by uknown_fame » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:30 pm

uknown_fame

by cheepaxes » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:21 pm

cheepaxes

by cheepaxes » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:31 pm

cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:08 am

Here's a little info for you, coming from an outright Chicago Instruments junkie...

There's no difference between an "H-66" and an "F-66"... Guitars built under with the official Harmony brand, for the most part, all had an "H" prefix. I've found in my collection that many of my Harmony-made Silvertones are branded with "F".

My number two and three stage axes are both upper-end Harmony... #2 is a true Harmony "H-76" (Hollowbody 330 stylee with three DeArmonds and a Bigsby) while the other is an identical Silvertone model model... the only difference (and yes, the nut I am, I've gone over this point by point) is the lack of a headstock faux-tortoise cap and the fact that the body is stamped "F-76."

Of course, the silvie has got another crazy, long-winded model number screened onto the back of the headstock in addition to the factory model stamped inside.

Is your headstock branded Airline or Harmony?

I've got a feeling that Harmony used the "F" prefix for the corresponding re-brands.

If you've got a Harmony-branded headstock... maybe the body was initially stamped for a re-brand order but was eventually used for an actualy Harmony... You know how some of those old instrument plants worked... got some parts lying around? Lets build it and see if we can sell it!! Nyuk nyuk!!

Anyhoo, thats my $0.02. hope you found it helpful!

-Michael Ambrose.
Michael Ambrose

by jcbass » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:15 pm

looks like a harmony.......but I could be wrong. In 1967 our lead player had a Harmony that looked alot like the picture.
John (jcbass)
jcbass

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts