[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Global/Teisco electrics

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Global/Teisco electrics

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by rangerzep83 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Been a little while since I've been here, but today I was given two electrics by a coworker. I had been looking for an old 60s era electric to work on and give to a friend of mine for Christmas, and it turned out this guy had a pair. He gave me both, hoping I could make at least one functioning guitar. What progress there will be remains to be seen, but cleaned up, they don't look too bad. These appear to be Teisco made, though I'm not familiar with them. The back of the headstock on the sunburst one has a "Made in Korea" sticker, and the neckplate has one that reads "410." The Natural one has a sticker on the back of the neckplate that says "4010N." There are no additional numbers anywhere. The "Global" on the sunburst is in a Gothic-style font, and the "Global" on the other is on a small banner, with a globe grid behind it. Can anyone help me date these, and let me know models?

Thanks for any help you guys can give! :)
Attachments
003.JPG
002.JPG
rangerzep83

by Phizix » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:33 pm

It looks similar in shape to a late 60's Kawai built guitar, I would guess maybe '69 or '70. If it was made in Korea it was definitely a later budget model.

We have a '67 made in japan Kingston for sale that is pretty similar. I think your guitar might be a later, made in korea version of this guitar.
https://reverb.com/item/157211-kawai-ki ... 67-natural

Similar to this Kingston
http://drowninginguitars.files.wordpres ... ton-2t.jpg

Similar guitars with Global label
https://reverb.com/item/53694-vintage-t ... itar-as-is
http://www.vintagecustomguitars.com/Vin ... e_238.html

Some similar looking stuff on this '69 kawai catalog page
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_ ... _ht_page03

http://www.vintaxe.com/subscribe.htm
Attachments
kingston-2t.jpg
king2.jpg
Phizix

by VintAxe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Most people don't realize it but the Korean company Samick began building guitars in 1965. Many of their early budget models are almost identical to budget guitars made in Japan.

The good news for you is that late 60's Japanese parts can be used in your restoration. Good luck
VintAxe
Site Admin

by rangerzep83 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks, guys!

Can someone turn me on to a place where I can find pickups like these, if these turn out to be dead? I don't want to switch to the usual humbuckers or Strat-type single coils. That's the whole point of this thing :mrgreen:

I've already located some other parts sources (including the complete tailpieces, thankfully), but have yet to find those particular pickups anywhere.
rangerzep83

by VintAxe » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 am

Hi rangerzep83 .

Unfortunately eBay is probably your only hope for authentic replacement pickups. I say unfortunately because many parts dealers on eBay have lost their mind when it comes to pricing their parts. I see dealers asking prices for pickup sets that equal the price of intact guitars. You have got to be patient but most parts you need will show up eventually.

There are also some parts listed on Reverb.

I will start listing some of my parts there when I get to it this winter, for now I just have a couple of bodies and a parts guitar listed.

Generally when pickups do not have output it is due to oxidation in the pots or faulty wiring. The exception is when guitars have been stored in damp conditions. The moisture will cause the coil wire to corrode and ruin the pup. If this is the case on your instrument, you probably would want to check into having the pup rewound rather than replacing it. Many Japanese pickups from this era cannot be rewound but many can so this is your first option.

Good luck with your projects
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts