[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Please help me with a Greco LP Standard 79´ identification

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Please help me with a Greco LP Standard 79´ identification

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by black_no1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi guys!
I am new here and I need a help from you.
Please, I´m in hurry.
I am going to buy a Greco Standard 79´ guitar,but i do not know what for a model is it.
Seller said,that is an EG-800,but i am not sure(it has no sticker on head),so i am posting a photos.
Infos that a have:
Serial number is from january 1979.
Dowel tenon.
Edge fret binding, fret wear about 20-25%.
Japanese electric.
All hardware original.
Mahagony body,maple slim 60´neck.
She comes with Tokai gigbag.
I´m hoping you can help me with identification of model.
Price is about 500USD(a final price including shipping and fee),is she worth of it?
Do you think she has a chambered body?

Thanks a lot.
Matej.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Photos:

... how fragile we are ...
black_no1

by black_no1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:51 pm

I´m looking more and more at photos of this guitar .
Looks like a sandwich body a 2 pieces maple top and a 3 pieces maple neck to me.
I can´t find out if it´s a nitrocellulose or polyurethane finish :(
Do you think she´s good?

But the biggest mystery still remains ... the model number.
black_no1

by VintAxe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 am

Hi black_no1,

I just uploaded the 1979 full line Greco catalog about a week ago so it happens to still be setting on my desk.

From the pictures, I would say your seller is correct about the model number. However, there is an EG 900 that visually looks the same as the 800. Since I can't read Japanese, I can't tell you what the differences might be. Somethimes, Greco will throw in a few words of English to help us language challenged Americans, but not in this catalog, it is all Japanese.

One note of caution. All the Les Pauls in the catalog have cream colored pu covers. I notice the covers on your guitar are black. It is common to buy Grecos for the construction and then change the electronics. If you are looking for an original example I would ask some questions. Other than the pickups and missing the pickguard, it looks right. However, it is difficult to tell much about the tuners in the catalog pictures.

The only other thing I can add is that the guitar was listed for 80,000 yen in 1979. Let us know if you buy it. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jedistar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:36 am

Further to sb's comment - There are a number of 800 series models in the 1979 catalog (Volume 10). The triple pick up version (EG800PB) does have black pups though - so it could be original.

In catalog 11 , 1980 there is only one model EG800 - with white pups.

Note this one may have been produced after the '79 catalog was printed - who knows what variations occur through a year of production...

Check out the Greco reviews...Look at all the Les Pauls - ratings are very high....
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... rand/Greco

Another link with notes on construction.
http://www.cosmikdebris.co.uk/grecoinfo.htm
also
http://www.guitarsjapan.com/grecoinfopage.html

Good luck

by black_no1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Guys,
in past few days a saw about 10 Greco catalogs... all in japanese language.
I´m in the end.Thank you for your help. I´m glad, that both of you think it´s a higher model.
Only one thing left here... to have a date with seller and try it by myself.
If i´ll buy it,I´ll let you know.That´s sure thing.
Even if I won´t buy it and then I will write why.
Have a nice play!
black_no1

by black_no1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I got a pickup number : 281204 ...does it matter?what can that mean?
Seller tried the acetone test and he said it´t not a nitro finish.
black_no1

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts