[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay Speed Demon K573 or some other variation?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay Speed Demon K573 or some other variation?

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by ighut » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:14 pm

I was hoping one of you could tell me what variation I've got. There's absolutely no markings on it anywhere, inside or out. Looks exactly like a mid 60's Speed Demon, but the head stock and the no truss rod adjustment throws me. I read through all the Kay postings, but didn't find anything that completely matched it. Any ideas?

ighut

by VintAxe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 am

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

I've got to say... I'm thinking Frankenstein on this one.

18 frets? Now THATS bizzare. the headstock is definitely kay/silvertone shaped... perhaps something happened to the original and they popped this one on there?

Other than that... there SHOULD be a stamp inside the f-hole... or if not, pull a pickup. I know speedbumps were date-stamped.

You might even find something stamped inside the neck pocket.

But yeah... I'm thinking replacement neck.
Michael Ambrose

by ighut » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanks, I've been trying to see in there with dental mirrors first to check if there's anything I'm going to have to reassemble through that tiny f-hole. Hoping to spot something on the pickup.
ighut

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Take a look at this...

http://www.marginallyirresponsible.com/ ... nburst.htm

...going back to what I'd said about the neck... here's what you SHOULD be looking at... either 19 or 20 frets on that one...
Michael Ambrose

by VintAxe » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Now that is a classic speed demon Michael.

Back to my earlier point, is it just an optical illusion or does ighut's guitar have a more rounded lower bout than your typical speed demon?

I'm thinking Frankenstein may have more than just a replaced neck. Do you recognize that body style?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 am

Oh wow... you know something... I must have looked Ighut's image up and down fifty times and didn't notice that rounded horn!

That really is bizarre!

Homework time!...
Michael Ambrose

by ighut » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 pm

No...not an illusion, and the rounded bit didn't strike me right away either. I was too busy comparing necks and knobs, until you mentioned it. I can't find any Speed Demons pics like it and the only rounded ones close are some of the 2 pickup 2 f-hole variety. As I looked at that picture you linked to, I thought this appears a little shorter and more rounded in the body. but the measurements are all about the same.
I'm also looking through Silvertone listings, since Sears would have been one of the big retailers in the area at the time and the models I've seen seem to have a rounder horn and that kind of cream colored binding on the body.
ighut

by ighut » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 am

ighut

by Michael Ambrose » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Ighut,

I actually just bought that Speed Demon body in the auction you posted.

Too strange. TOO too strange.

No markings at all. 18 frets, and its definitely stock.

So here's what I'm thinking... and, of course, its ALL conjecture...

I'm thinking that this is, perhaps, and "early" Speed Demon?... I've got this side-by-side a '61 Stratotone, and it looks as though its more closely related to that than a more modern Speed Demon. What is more, on the back of this piece is a faux tiger stripe, like that found on Stellas.

So just how blurry were the lines between Kay and Harmony back then?

I keep bringing up the Stratotone because I suppose that it could be considered a "first cousin" to the Kay Value Leader... nearly identical guitars... Stratotone had the gold foils and "hershey bar" pickups... value leaders had those "capped" DeArmonds... Now... the Stratotone had a rounded lower horn, whereas the Value Leader's was pointed.

Just something to think about.

Also.

I popped the neck... nothing in the pocket... there's the remnants of something that was once printed on the headstock, no idea what it was...

Perhaps some of the Kay and Harmony lines got crossed at one point in production?

Man, its just such a weird guitar...
Michael Ambrose

by ighut » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:25 pm

ighut

by niles » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 pm

niles

by VintAxe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by jeff mercer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Here is the obviously bottom of the line variant on Ebay..170272287711..this one branded "Airline" , & has the rounded cutaway. Probably just further muddying already murky waters, but thought it might be of interest ! Cheers...
jeff mercer

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts