[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - my new Supro - just like Derek Trucks'

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

my new Supro - just like Derek Trucks'

Post here if you need to determine the manufacturer, model or age of your electric guitar

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by suprosrule » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 pm

I am a huge Derek Trucks fan and recently saw him play a copper colored single pickup Supro. He plays it for some of the old blues stuff they play like 44 Blues, Done Got Over, etc.. Anyway, I started looking for one similar to his and actually stumbled across one exactly like his (top pic.) In the picture, his looks darker, but it is the same color. I paid $800 (probably too much?, but I dont care - it's the same model guitar he plays!!) I started researching Supros a little bit, but can't seem to come across this model or color again. Is this one somewhat rare? I see other Supro models all the time (Val-Trol, Ozark, Sahara, Belmont, etc..). Any ideas on this model? Serial number is T86631 which I think dates it at 1962. Thanks!!
suprosrule

by VintAxe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi suprosrule,

I can't tell for sure from the small photo, but it looks to me like you've got a Model 1530 Kingston.

Any chance you can post a larger picture so we can see some of the details?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by simonm » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:20 am

Looks like a solid wood version of the Kingston, the resoglass ones are usually white. I've seen this coppery paint job on some similar Tosca branded Valco gtrs on ebay, but I haven't seen any other Supros with it.

there's a short video of Mr Trucks here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A_HeXt6fCog&feature=related
simonm

by suprosrule » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Here are some different pics. It is solid wood, copper colored paint, wood bridge, kluson deluxe tuners.

suprosrule

by suprosrule » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Also, the copper finish is pretty beat up on mine. It is worn pretty bad around edges, and has many small dings and knicks. Everywhere there is a scratch, the color actually turns a little green. Being a vintage, should I attempt to this have worked on? Should I try something myself? Of just leave it be? I attached a picture of the finish.

It's probably going to get a little more beat up, because I am playing the hell out of it!! It sounds good. Not much string bending going on, but plenty of slide!

suprosrule

by VintAxe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Hey suprosrule,

The larger photos help tremendously.

Your guitar is an Ozark (model 1561S). They came in either a Black or Fire Bronze finish.

I wouldn't worry about finish dings, honest play wear is part of the charm.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by suprosrule » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks a bunch. I am not sure why the photos came up so small the first time? Do you sell the cataolgs for these on your website? That would be pretty neat to have the old catalog for it. Thanks again for the info. This is a great forum...
suprosrule

Return to Basic Vintage Electric Guitar Information

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts