[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Worst guitar, and worst-est guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Worst guitar, and worst-est guitar?

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:23 am

Weird subject, huh? Bear with me and hear me out on this one. Its more of a rant, but I'd love to get your take on this.

So, I'm a 50's/60's low-end guitar junkie. Oh, sure, I've got my Mosrite and a Fender or two, but the guitars I find myself gravitating towards are always my Silvertone's and Harmony's... not just my high-end H-78's, but often I'll just dive straight towards my 1413L (you know, those little seafoam green slabs with a single De Armond).

But even Teisco/Kawai did some okay stuff... not amazing, but not terrible either. Now, I've got a VERY soft spot for Tulips... the bare bones, single-pickup, absolute bottom of the line five-and-ten guitars... the guitar a super-beginner "student" would nab in the late 60's...

I'm a guitar teacher, and I just took on a beginner student who owns a First Act guitar. Got it at Walmart as part of a set. And its funny, the body almost resembles a Tulip... but man, oh man, what a hunk of garbage! Its got a Fender-esque tuneable bridge, but man, it is just impossible to intonate... the neck feels like its made of paper, and may as well not even have a truss-rod... I've had to adjust it I don't know how many times... there's ground/electronics problems...

Man, this guitar makes me wish this kid had a Squire... at least that vaguely feels like a guitar!

It just numbs my brain... 40 years ago, a "student" starter-level junk guitar was at least playable... or at least compared to what they're churning out these days...

Eh, end rant...
Michael Ambrose

by ighut » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:09 pm

The 50's and 60's models are, in a word, solid...heavy and thick, but solidly made, even though they often lacked alot of choice in adjusting intonation. The action may get a little high, but they can take alot of punishment.
The new First Act ones I've played with seem to have the basic adjustments there and resemble regular guitars, but they don't feel that solid. Doesn't feel like it will hold up, but then again, it's usually under $90 new, so maybe that's assumed. Out of the box it's in need of alot of set up to fix the buzzing, plus requires an entire fret dressing or else you'll be gritting your teeth each time you bend a note.
ighut

by straycat113 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 am

straycat113

by cheepaxes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 pm

I played a First Act a few years back. It seemed like it could have been made into a decent guitar, with some minimal fret work intonation and lowering of the nut. I think this was one of those Paul Westerberg signature models.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Mgeek » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:32 am

Mgeek

by elronnightshade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 pm

yes im in love with old low end guitars too, korean and USSR made are my favourites
Satellite 65/T
Wesley Graduate
Unmarked Strat Copy
3/4 size, home "electrified", acoustic
elronnightshade

by Michael Ambrose » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Michael Ambrose

by jeng3000 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:07 pm

--Jeff Engel
jeng3000

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts