[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Ever reach a point and ask yourself...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Ever reach a point and ask yourself...

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:47 pm

"Why did I do this?"... over and over...? haha...

Well, much like this guitar's previous owner probably did, I'm doing just that right now...

I woke up to find an unexpected surprise in my mailbox this morning... a "You've Won this Item" message from ebay...

...and here's the item...

Its a Silvertone Dano... cokebottle headstock... but with a portrait of Malcolm X painted on it. Nothing a can of lacquer thinner and about ten coats of metallic copper won't cure, I'm sure... hahaha...
Michael Ambrose

by VintAxe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't know Michael, I would take a hard look at the paint job on this instrument before I would decide on a refin. Part of the charm of old instruments is that they have lived life. Certainly, no one would put Malcolm on a guitar today and probably few people put him on a guitar back in the day. The current paint job might be analogous to Folk Art in today's market. I know as vintage guitar collectors, we value original or original style finishes, but from a historical perspective, what is more interesting, a 2008 attempt at an original refin, or an amateur 1960's hippie, activist expression of rebellion.

I'd be tempted to keep Malcolm, just like I'm tempted to keep that orange crush velour chair my mother bought in the 1970's. They are both atrocious by today's standards, but they both make a bold statement about cultural identity in times that have passed and will never return again.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 am

cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 pm

"Yeah, uh, sorry I couldn't remember 'The Wreck of the Old 07'..." hahaha...

It hasn't arrived yet... and I'm really REALLY curious about this one. I've actually had quite a few of my friends suggest the exact same thing, that I should keep it just as it is.

Ha!... you're absolutely right, Scott! I do have more than enough "faves" that I could afford to leave this home on "unsafe" nights... haha... but on the other hand, I'm a white dude who gets hired out to play in a good amount of Reggae bands... so it might be stying home more than I normally allow... at least in its present state... hahaha...

Ah, we'll see what happens when it comes in...
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Michael Ambrose

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts