[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - my new baby-----uhh... monster

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

my new baby-----uhh... monster

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by johnnyb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:08 pm

hey all, i havent been around in a while. and here is why. ive decided to start building my own guitars. i figured ive had enough experience in repairs and mods i decided, why not make something i wanted. as you can see this one is inspired by the 60's era japan made junkers. but instead of a lightweight piece of plywood this is a solid 2" thick piece of alder. a friend gave me a piece that measured 5'x14"x2". i figured i could get 4 guitars out of it. this is the first. its a 5 string fretless on top and a guitar on the bottom. my wife and i play a string and vocal duet and i got tired of switching from bass to guitar, so.... it has a stereo out so i can plug into 2 different rigs. the bass has 2 pups and a pizeo. 3 nos singles on the guitar with a phase for the middle. topping out at 15.4 lbs. im almost afraid to start gigging with it. its a beast. but it plays really well.

johnnyb

by VintAxe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Wow, that turned out really nice.

Did you do the paint job in house or send it out?

Where did you get the necks?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by johnnyb » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:12 am

did the paint job at home. used lacquer, just like vintage, and a lot of wet sanding with a block to keep it flat. has about 8 coats of lacquer. plus lots of prep before painting. i learned thats the key, and the next will get more prep to reduce the wet sanding later. i picked up the necks cheep on e-bay. paid about $40 for both. the bass recieved a fretless conversion and a refin. the guitar neck was refrettet and re finished. they were both sanded flat as well prior to refin. the action on both is super low. but i usually keep it a little higher for bending and tone. heres another shot of the top.

johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 am

*Very* nice. :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Phizix » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:11 pm

That is so awesome. 15.4 lbs!!! Break out the back brace.
Phizix

by Spud1950 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Most excellent!!! Any chance of putting up a sound clip of it? I would love to hear what it sounds like!
Spud1950

by johnnyb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:26 am

i would put in an audio clip, but im not exactly sure how to do it. ive had a hard time trying to find a site to host just audio clips. if anyone knows an easy way it would be helpful
johnnyb

by Spud1950 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Here you go. Soundclick is a hugely popular site. It's free.

Spud1950

by johnnyb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:25 am

hey all, i finally had a little time to put something down with this beast. its a little rough and pretty much 1st takes. eq's are set flat on the amps and in mixdown. only a little panning and volume adjustments. amps are a fender hot rod deville 2x12 and an SWR sm-500. i had a problem with the large diaphgram mic though. took a few too many falls, lows are a little muddy. i hope it works. well.....i tried to link the player but it didnt work. so heres a link to the example.

http://www.soundclick.com/mydogjake
johnnyb

by Spud1950 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:11 am

Excellent.Great tune, great tone and great playing. Jake is one funky hound!
Spud1950

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts