[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - alden 9908 Stratotone Mars Restoration

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

alden 9908 Stratotone Mars Restoration

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by tadstoy31f » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:18 pm

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but i'm in need of advice in the restoration of this old alden 9908. A very big THANK YOU to Spud1950 for his help and guidense in just identifying this guitar for me. Now my question is the paint on this puppy has a some chips and scratches in it and I was wondering if it would be wise to repaint it or just clean it and leave it as is. Would a new paint job destroy its value or maybe help it. I have cleaned the dust off of it but not sure how to go about restoring the finish. Oh and this one has a 1964 date stamp inside the body and on the pickup. It also has 8090 8396 stamped inside the body as well that I dont know what they stand for. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
[img]http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/tadstoy31f/th_alden9908face.jpg
http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp35 ... dbackc.jpg
http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp35 ... ide1c2.jpg
http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp35 ... 8side2.jpg
http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp35 ... 8facec.jpg
[/img]
tadstoy31f

by tadstoy31f » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:37 pm

tadstoy31f

by Spud1950 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Spud1950

by tadstoy31f » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:12 am

tadstoy31f

by cheepaxes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Spud1950: "Do not refinish it!"

Not that corroborating opinions are necessary but, I agree.

Having said that, I had some success in dealing with similar finish flaws on a Harmony Rocket by using furniture touch-up markers. I got mine in Cherry but I'm sure you could find a brown similar to the color of your guitar. This is not to suggest the guitar needs it, just that it would be a way to deal with those nicks and chips without refinishing.

-Scott
cheepaxes

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts