[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Speed Demon mock-up...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Speed Demon mock-up...

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Just a rough mock-up... but its a'comin'!

Michael Ambrose

by Spud1950 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Most sweet! What brand of pickup are you using?
Spud1950

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 pm

I have a friend that works with a company called Artec, and I've really come to like a lot of their stuff... I MIGHT have a buyer lined up for it who wants Kent Armstrongs, though, so we'll see what happens.
Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 am

did you ever figure out a solution to the archtop bridge on a flat top?
johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:21 pm

[quote="Michael Ambrose"]I have a friend that works with a company called Artec, and I've really come to like a lot of their stuff... [/quote]

I've been watching Artec stuff becoming more and more available in the US over the last few months. I first discovered them while looking for an inexpensive acoustic pickup. Their undersaddle piezos are prety cheap compared to, say an equivalent Fishman product. I ended up buying a used Artec magnetic soundhole pickup for a cheap Alvarez, so I could have a spare electric-acoustic. It works OK - certainly good for what I spent for it.

I borrowed one of their overdrive pedals from a friend and thought it was OK, not great. I probably should have given it more time before passing judgement.

I've been wondering about their electric guitar pickups. There are some who wonder if Artec isn't the company that makes the pickups being sold as GFS. Any inside information on that? How do you like the P-90s?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 am

UPDATE!!

I've FINALLY had a chance to sit down and work on this guitar... after five months! (I guess thats what happens when you go to college part-time, teach privately more-than-part-time, intern at an ad agency part-time, and gig full-time!!)

Well, here's a picture of the wiring harness...

Its a three vol/three tone/five-way rotary, like I planned, only its a strat-esque configuration with Neck, Neck-mid, Mid-only, Mid-bridge, and Bridge positions... I'd wanted to find a way to work in a neck-bridge option, but I wasn't sure which mid-combo to eliminate. (I've got another Speed Demon coming in shortly, and I think this one I'm going to try and wire it for Neck, Neck-Mid, Mid-Bridge, Bridge, and Neck-Bridge... much as I actually like using a mid-position solo on these!)

Anyhoo... I'm pretty proud of this one!...
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Holy lordy...

I'd heard somewhere once before that Kay wired and installed their pups and electronics prior to mounting the top... and when it comes to their three-pickup models, I wouldn't doubt it in the least.

I just spend the last nearly three hours pinching and scrunching my way to installing this harness. GEEZ!

getting there, bit by bit...

tomorrow I'll install the Bigsby and string 'er up!!
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I'll be interested to see the results. :)

-Scott
cheepaxes

by johnnyb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 am

id like to hear it if possible.....i can tell its already going to look great.
johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:38 am

JohnnyB... I totally missed your post before...

This is actually an arched-top model!... I have one of their "flatter" tops, also, which I've converted to a bass... and for that I used an old Supro "Thumb-screw" style bridge base.

Blaarg... life gets crazy sometimes... I STILL haven't found the time to install the Bigsby.

Soon as I do, though, I'll make a film or recording of it and post it up.
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Mon May 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Michael,

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing the results.

Can you make up for the difference in pickup output by adjusting the screws? Maybe by raising the bridge pup a little with a shim or something? Or would that get it too close to the strings?

I'm still halfway on the lookout for an old Harmony body like that that might work with a three bolt Harmony/Silvertone neck I took off a broken Silvertone acoustic years back.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by ighut » Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

Looking forward to it also, would be nice to see one of these all modded up.
Just looking at mine makes me wonder how you managed all the wiring harness ahead of time, much less, get it in there.
ighut

by Michael Ambrose » Thu May 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Michael Ambrose

Next

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts