[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Electric Guitar Advice

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Electric Guitar Advice

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by DanMac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 am

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice on buying an electric guitar. I have several acoustic guitars and have been playing them for nearly 40 years and have now decided it's time for an electric. I know little about electric guitars (I used to play electric bass in the 60's) but I think that due to the styles of music I play, I need something versatile. I like to play classic rock; country rock; country; folk; and blues. I am more of a rythm player than lead, but I am learning some new lead licks, and I like to finger pick. I am thinking a Gibson Les Paul is the best bet for me, but I would sure like some input from you guys that know your electrics. Is there another guitar on the market that would give me the versatility and sound of a Gibson LP? I am anxious to hear what you folks have to say. Thanks for reading.
DanMac
DanMac

by Spud1950 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Ask 20 different people,you'll get 20 different opinions. Considering the vast amount of different electric guitars available these days, with different sounding pickups which effect the tone,different neck profiles which effects playability,etc., the best thing you can do is to visit some well stocked music stores and play and compare different models to find the one that suits you the best. In my personal opinion, tone wise,the Stratocater is more versatile then a Les Paul, but you really need to play a lot of different guitars and compare. Also keep in mind that the amplifier and the amp settings are also going to play a major role in shaping the tone, not to mention all the effects pedals available. So, in the end it's your ears and your fingers that determine what's best for you.
Spud1950

by johnnyb » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 am

johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 pm

I agree with the others - I think you should try some stuff out, and I suspect the Les Paul won't be any better suited for your needs than a lot of other guitars. Plus they're heavy and, if you're looking at an actual Gibson model, very expensive. I would think someting like a Stratocaster or Telecaster would work for you. If you're looking for bargains then consider something from the Squier line or a Made-in-Mexico model. Maybe some time down the road you can look into Les Pauls as an upgrade. FWIW, I own a Les Paul and I like it but I play my Squier Strat more often.

Really though, any good electric guitar could do any of the things you mentioned. Your success will depend more on you than the instrument. If you live in a reasonably large city there are probably a half-dozen instruments in today's Craigslist that could work well for you. If you know anyone who knows about electric guitars they might be able to look at candidates with you and give you an idea about how good a guitar is, how good it could be with a little work, and how good a bargain it appears to be.

Good luck,
-Scott
cheepaxes

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts