The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Best way to sell a vintage guitar?

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mad Dog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 am

I am getting ready to try and sell my guitar, and I thought I would seek out a little advice on the best way to go about it. Put it on Forum Boards, like this one? Ebay? Consignment in a vintage shop?

I, of course, want to get the most cash I can, but I don't want to sit on it for years to get every last dime. I had an internet appraisal done by one of the big name vintage shops, are the appraisals close to what the market will actually bring? Is it a good place to start as an asking price, or are they usually way high?

What would you guys do if you found a 50 year old guitar in the back of the closet, if you didn't want to keep it?
Mad Dog

by Mgeek » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:33 am

All of this depends on what it is...

sometimes ebay is best, sometimes private sales...sometimes consignment

You can buy some guitars off ebay and sell them for more privately, or do the complete opposite depending on what it is
Mgeek

by Mad Dog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:38 am

1956 Magnatone Mark III
This is the neck through body version that was made in 1956 only.
It is in all original condition with original case. It has literally sat in the back of a closet since my father bought it from a music store in the 50's.
Mad Dog

by cheepaxes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:18 pm

You might want to search out a web site or forum dedicated to Magnatone gear. If you can go straight to Magnatone collectors you might save youself some time/trouble. I'm just guessing on this though. I haven't dome anything like this myself.

-Scott
cheepaxes

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts