[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kooky Body Idea

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kooky Body Idea

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cheepaxes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm

I originally posted this to The Gear Page but thought folks here migh want to weigh in. I've seen some Teisco bodies which I thought may have been made using a process like this. Read on...

I have next to nothing in the way of tools or wood-working ability. I don't mind working on cheap guitars and taking them out to gigs for a laugh. I've been toying with the idea of making a solid guitar body from wood I have around the house.

Given that: I have a piece of wood that was formerly a cutting board. It appears to be one solid piece, but not deep enough for a guitar body. To use this would require cutting two identically-shaped pieces and gluing them together in a stack, making a two-piece pancake body.

And given that: I have access to a jig saw but not a router.

How kooky would it be to cut the same body shape out of two pieces, cut shapes in one piece where the neck, pickup and control cavity routes would be, and glue the two together with the "routed" piece on top? I would end up with what appeared to be a routed body. Granted, the depth of the routs would be a function of the thickness of the wood, not the depth of my neck, pups and controls, but I can probably live with this.

I'm sure this sounds like a cheezy idea to people with skills and tools, but to me, it sounds kind of fun.

Does anybody know of a reason that this would not work? Does anyone know someone who's done it?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Who's got two thumbs and has done just that?

This guy.

Before I owned proper tools, I'd actually go to a wood shop where a friend worked and have him plane me a few planks, one of which was the same thickness as the heel of whatever cheapo neck I nabbed off of Ebay...

Cut a neck pocket in the one plank with a jigsaw and glue them together... I built three Dano-style pieces... didn't even rout the top, just slapped a Dearmond on there!

I've had them for a few years now, and they haven't given me any structural problems...
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Cool! What did you do for control cover/jackplate?

Pictures?
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm

cheepaxes

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts