[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - '58 Danelectro U1 becomes '58 MANelectro U1.5...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

'58 Danelectro U1 becomes '58 MANelectro U1.5...

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:38 am

Just a quick mock-up of a rebuilt 1958 Danelectro U-1... I'm calling this a U-1.5... its essentially a U-1 wrapped in "westen" brown paisley tolex with a piezo added (piezo adds the ".5" haha). The tolex still needs to dry, and I'm waiting on cream body binding tape. What you see sticking out of the sides are upholstery tacks... I'm going to make a border with them on the binding tape. Controls, I think, will include a pickup selector switch and two concentric stacked volume and tone controls.

Here's a before shot.

(Cool as it looks in this shot, the art was a big mess in person... lots of white out and sharpie. I actually tried playing it in rehearsal before demoing it, and most of the media ran all over my arms and shirt when I got sweaty.)
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm

How do you wire the piezo in with the lipstick pup? I tried adding a piezo element to one of my guitars and didn't have much luck wiring it in with the mag pups.
cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:19 pm

cheepaxes

by johnnyb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 am

is it an acoustic stick piezo or the cheap radio-shack transducer type, and where would you mount it? ive used the radio-shack ones on a few of my cheap basses and wedge them under the bridge. id adjust the tension of the mounting screws as to not over-squish the elements. they do wire up just fine with other pickups and add a great punch to a bad bass. just wondering your method on that tailpiece.
johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:45 am

Its a transducer element... but not from Radio Shack (though I've experimented with those as well). I found this one on Ebay a loooooong time ago and never used it for anything... and its a nice midpoint between a stick element and a cheapo radio shack piece. Pretty decent, actually!

With no bridge pickup, blend a little bit of this into the mix and it adds a nice little twang to the tone.

I can't wait for my binding tape to come in!

(I'm also thinking of adding an Artec QTP EQ pot... but I'm hesitant because its not a true-bypass circuit...)
Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:11 pm

where ya puttin' it?
johnnyb

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Whoops!

I'm electrical-taping it beneath the bridge, maybe wedging it between the bridge and the body with a tiny sliver of foam?
Michael Ambrose

by johnnyb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:19 pm

double sided carpet tape might work well. or even some epoxy. just an idea. let us know how it works. those transducers can be touchy.
johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 am

When I did my piezo experiment I used two of the RS elements, shoved under a wooden tailpiece I fabricated for a Harmony H-802.

www.scottmcknight.com/PIEZO802.JPG

When I tried wiring it in with the other pickups I didn't seem to get anything out of it. Ultimately (as seen in the pic) I gave it its own output.

I got the idea for this from a bass player friend who has had good results putting piezos in basses before, as described above in this thread.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by johnnyb » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 am

scott,

the piezo needs to be under the bridge to pickup the vibrations of the strings. there isnt much going on under the tailpiece. if you have a space under the bridge, wedge it under there with a shim of some sort. most pizeos need a little pressure, but not too much, to work best.

john
johnnyb

by cheepaxes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 pm

cheepaxes

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:11 am

THE END. FINALLY finished it!

Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

...and with a pickguard, but I'm wondering if its overkill...

Michael Ambrose

by newey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm

MA-

Nice work! But I do think the pickguard is a bit too much. Besides, pick scratches on the covering will give it that "road worn" look! :)
newey

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts