[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What are all of the ES-175 style guitars and copies?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What are all of the ES-175 style guitars and copies?

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jeng3000 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:13 am

I was wondering if anybody has ever compiled a list of all the guitars that kind of look and sound like an ES-175. You know, like the Washburn J6 (not quite a 175 but close), or the Aria Diamond copy.

I really like the tone and feel of the ES-175 but I doubt I'll have the money to buy one any time soon. So I've been looking at stand-ins for now.

I was checking out one of the Samick/Greg Bennett LaSalle and it's nice but it's a bit limited with only one pickup. I like the jazzy sound of the neck pickup, but I like the buzzy crunch of a full-on humbucker on a fat body guitar. And the neck humbucker on the 175 has the most amazing fat bell tone ever, especially on bends. I once owned an ES-135 and loved it, but it wasn't as "woody" and "fat" in sound as a real 175. It was thinner and the sound was thinner as well.

I know there are tons of Matsumoku and Eko and Crucianelli 175ish clones, plus there's the Epiphone clone. And of course, the "replicas" being made in China for like $300... although I'd be scared to death of ordering one, not for fear of getting in trouble but basically not getting something as nice as the Epiphone for just a couple hundred more.

Any recommendations, suggestions, experiences?

Maybe we could compile a list or something.
--Jeff Engel
jeng3000

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts