The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Plywood Bodies

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Geezer » Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 am

Does anyone know what sort of plywood is used for guitar manufacture? I'm guessing it's furniture or cabinet grade. Most folks avoid these guitars, I like the way they sound. Dano's were made with Masonite tops and backs, not exactly hardwood.

I own a couple of plywood body guitars, one is a 95 Squier Bullet that plays and sounds really sweet. I just picked up an early 80's Cort Model X with a plywood body, I haven't played it yet, needs a bridge.
Geezer

by Michael Ambrose » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 am

The original Dano's had poplar or pine cores, but the mid-90's Korean pieces actually used ply cores.

Having accidentally split a few old Teisco Tulips open, my guess is they're typical Birch ply? I recently built a Leslie enclosure from 3/4" birch ply, and it looks VERY similar... but ultimately, no idea on the exact species.
Michael Ambrose

by Phizix » Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I like guitars made outta fiberglass or lucite...Whatever works...
Phizix

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts