[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Latest Project: Mahogany-Bodied Tele

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Latest Project: Mahogany-Bodied Tele

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cheepaxes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Haven't been hanging out here much lately. I've been doing most of my recreational internet use via my smartphone, which doesn't always get along with the Vintaxe board page very well.

Anyway, my latest project:

About 15 years ago I bought a piece of mahogany and took it to a local luthier who had offered to cut it into a body for me. I didn't get back to him. I lost track of him, and the wood, when he moved away. Fast forward to last spring. I found him on Facebook, he still had the mahogany, he cut it into a Telecaster shape, routed the neck and bridge pickup cavities, and drilled the holes for the string through, bridge mounting holes and output jack. I got it from him a couple months ago and have been working in it.

Last year, when I knew I would be getting a Tele body, I swapped a guy a speaker for a Tele neck with RW board. A while back I contacted him with questions about the neck. Turns out he was selling a Tele neck w/ maple board (which I prefer), which I got from him cheap with tuners. I also bought a control cavity plate and knobs from him.

I bought a bridge, with compensated saddles, on eBay.

I installed the neck and determined that the bridge mounting holes, pickup route and string-through holes were in the wrong place. I modified the bridge pickup route so I could slide the bridge sideways to the right place. I glued dowels in the old string-thru holes and redrilled those - poorly. We'll see whether I can use them.

I had a Mexican bridge pup, which I've installed and I have a Mexican neck pup that I may install, though I'm leaning toward buying some overwound Lawrence pups for this guitar.

The output jack hole, as drilled by the luthier, is too small. I'll need to make it a little bigger. I have an old-school Tele output jack cup, but I think I'll get an Electrosocket type for easier installation. I'll need to enlarge the hole a little to fit it [Edit - I got an Electrosocket jack and the hole was drilled perfectly for that].

Another friend routed the neck pickup and control cavity.

I already had a tortoiseshell pickguard.

I finished it in three coats of tung oil.

I have assembled it except for,

- installing the output jack,

- installing a neck pickup,

- potentially putting in Lawrence pickups,

- wiring it up,

- putting on strap buttons.

Here's a picture with everything in place, but before I screwed things down:

http://www.scottmcknight.com/MAHOGANY.JPG

-Scott
Last edited by cheepaxes on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheepaxes

by Sol » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 pm

One of the nicest guitars Ive made in recent yrs was an all Mahogany Tele type guitar, after all if an all Rosewood Tele can work, albeit very heavy (I imagine) So yours will sound great, as Maple and Mahogany is a classic combination.

I had my doubts about the sound of mine but it turned out very well, so I look forward to your finished guitar.
Ive made a lot of mistakes that have really paid off and a few smart moves Ill regret forever.But I got a new start salvation through blues
Now Im carving a new six string and playing through the tubes working on a new song, pray I make mistakes..
Sol

by cheepaxes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:15 pm

cheepaxes

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts