[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Opinions on what to do with 1965 Fender Mustang

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Opinions on what to do with 1965 Fender Mustang

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jim93 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:01 pm

I just bought a 1965 Fender Mustang for fairly cheap
and it has some issues that I am slightly concerned about.

The first is that it seems a previous older got rid of the finish and put varnish over it to have it be wood colored. This is a picture of it.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4589/fender65.jpg
If I decided to refinish it in its original daphne blue what would
I be doing to the value of this guitar?

The other question is that the neck has a date of 1965
and Kluson tuners. Is that period accurate?
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8417/fenderneck.jpg
jim93

by Spud1950 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Kluson tuners are correct,as seen here. They had Kluson's from 1964 until 1968 when they were replaced by the "F" style tuners.

As far as the finish,it's kind of a tough call. The guitar has been seriously devalued with it's present finish. Refinishing it to a period correct color might make it more appealing cosmetically,but it's not going to add that much value to the guitar. Original finish, even if it's a bit beat up, is always far more desirable as far as collectability and will fetch a higher price then a refinish. Would you do it yourself or pay to someone to do it? How much did you pay for the guitar? Here's a 65,all original, with an asking price of $2400 which is pretty reasonable.

Spud1950

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Bottom line: when a finish is gone, its gone... and the original value with it. Doesn't matter who refinishes it or how, that original value is 86ed and there's no getting it back.

"Value" of any guitar is essentially determined by who is looking for it. Basically, at this point, "collectors" value is completely out of the question... so the current "value" is determined solely by players value... and players swing both ways when it comes to finish... some want a refined player piece, some don't. Some will buy a refined piece only to strip it again so they can have a natural wood mustang. Takes all kinds.

What will really determine how this piece is valued NOW is how it plays, sounds, and feels.

Ultimately, though, the vintage guitar player's market is pretty much split 50/50 on the refin question. If you're looking to sell, you'll undoubtedly have a buyer no matter what you decide to do.

PS. HOLY CRAP, I KNEW I'd see that guitar before!! Another Jersey Boy!! You bought the guitar from a dude in Rumson!!! I was thinking of buying it myself!!... but then I had to wonder why someone from Rumson needed to sell a '65 Stang anyway... Anyhoo, I'm near New Brunswick, but I gig down that way all the time!! Welcome to the board!
Michael Ambrose

by jim93 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:33 am

Yea, its the rumson, I was surprised it was a 65 with alot of the original parts minus the finish. I figured it might not be as advertised but it was only 175 more than the cheapest used mustang reissue so I didnt care. Im leaning on giving it its original finish back and keeping it and letting it age under me. I just wanted to make sure I was justified in giving it its finish back. I will make sure to get it done with nitro-cellulose to try to reset the guitars finish life and daphne blue is what ive been wanting for the longest.
jim93

by johnnyb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 am

i second what michael said. value is gone with the finish, do what you want. maybe put it back to original color and have it reliced. its a good candidate for it. were you going to do it or send it out.
johnnyb

by jim93 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am

I dont know how to finish a guitar properly so im going to have to get it sent out. It would still be less than a thousand after paying to have it refinished.
jim93

by johnnyb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 am

this place has the paint you want and a good tutorial if you wanted to try. having someone else do it will run you $200 and up. i know a guy that does great work around here (NY) for i believe $150 + paint. he does factory specs.

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
johnnyb

by jim93 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Is he located near NYC or willing to pickup and drop guitar off in NYC.
jim93

by johnnyb » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:08 pm

upstate n.y. albany area. probably have to ship.
johnnyb

by jim93 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:02 pm

I guess ill do local because it should work out the same after shipping.
jim93

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts