The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Anybody going to be at the Arlington, TX show?

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mrblanche » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:35 pm

It's this weekend. I expect to go over Saturday.
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm

So what were your impressions of the Show?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 am

It seems like every year, one type of guitar stands out. To me, this year, it was Rickenbacker, especially the 12-string models.

There is always a lot of trash on display, and lots of very optimistic prices. You quickly get your fill of $30,000 Teles and Strats. And I have to be honest: More than guitars, I like wood. I saw several examples of fantastic custom guitars in exotic woods. I saw one guy who did fantanstic stuff with exotic woods and inlays, and then built a matching amplifier enclosure.

I DID see a number of old Harmonys and others, including a...Silvertone?...complete with its original case with the built-in amp.
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Interesting that more of the budget market guitars are beginning to be exhibited at shows. Like you say, for years around here it's been high end guitars that dealers seem to sell/trade among themselves. Not much on the tables for the "working" musician.

I've heard good things about the Arlington show; hope to get there some day myself. :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:09 am

If you're coming to the area, contact me, and I'll take you out there.

Actually, I saw lots of "working musicians" buying and selling. I forgot my camera, so I can't give you an idea what it looked like, but it's impressive.

The Arlington show is largely a vintage/collector show, but there are some new guitars, too. The Dallas show, I think, is more like NAMM.
mrblanche

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts