The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

new pickups on magnetized pickup mounts

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Dunder » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi, I think I buried this question on and old post so apologize for repeating it.
i'm sticking a newish strat pup on an old kawai thinline. I want to re-use the mounting plate from the old pickup as it has threaded holes so I can raise and lower it.
My concern is that from having the magnet sitting on it so long the mounting plate so I have two concerns. One is: will it affect performance; the other is could it damage the magnets on the new pups? The new ones are a matching set and don't want to stress them.

set up:
replacement pup (will grind the backplate so it fits)
old backplate
Dunder

by Spud1950 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:52 pm

In theory,it is possible that this may cause a problem. You can only have one magnetic polarity,north or south,acting on the the pole pieces. For example,if say your pickup magnets are oriented to have the south pole of the magnet acting on the pole pieces and you introduce an opposite north pole influence along with it, the pickup would not work properly,although I couldn't say for sure as to whether the charge that has been imparted to the base plate is strong enough to do this . But not to worry. You can simply demagnetize the base plate by applying heat to it and it becomes a non issue. Heat it with a soldering iron and test it to make sure the magnetic charge has been negated.
Spud1950

by Dunder » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 am

Yay Spud! Thankyou!
Dunder

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts