The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

coaxial pickup wires

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Dunder » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:47 am

Which is "hot"?
Is there a convention when using such wires? I'm marrying the pup wired here with a more modern one with red and white wires. Red I asume is "hot"
On each switch it seems to be the righthand terminals that run through to the volume pot so I'm guessing the outer wire is hot and the inner (attached to the left terminal is ground
Dunder

by johnnyb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 am

the hot wire is the shielded white wire from the pickup. ground is the wire without shielding on it. there is no ground wire to the pots because the metel pickguard is taking care of that. i cant tell how its going to ground through the blob. did that pup work?
johnnyb

by Dunder » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 am

Oh THAT pup, no it didn't but have been given an antique matching pair (nz jansens) I'm keen to eventually hear thanks.
So by that reckoning, since the right hand terminal goes to the pot, and the left seems to earth, this is a photo of a botch up that I have been basing my work on. smooth! 8)
Dunder

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts