[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Not sure what to do

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Not sure what to do

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by musomaniac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 am

hi guys , i have a kramer stagemaster standard , which seems to feedback a lot earlier than my ibanez 3120 prestige does , i have potted the humbucker pickup , but was wondering about the capacitor , the guitar only has a volume pot , no tone pot , so what does this capacitor do ? should i replace it with a new capacitor if so which one ? And should i also replace the volume pot ? Again if so which one ?

I have also noticed that the cavity does not have any shielding paint on its surfaces , would it be worth getting some and painting it on ?

I like the tone of the guitar as it sounds now , but i would really like to address the feedback , so that i can unplug my ibanez , and plug the kramer in without having to turn down the volume / gain on the amp . I play in a band and having to turn down isn't really an option .
[/b]
musomaniac

by johnnyb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 am

the cap is probably a trebel bleed. as far as the feedback, wax pot it again, following stuart macdonald's instructions. if it still feeds back, you'll need a new pickup.
johnnyb

by slantsix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 am

Excellent instructions on how to shield a guitar's electronics are available at www.guitarnuts.com. Hope that helps.
slantsix

by Spud1950 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:31 pm

The Guitar Nuts section on wax potting is what's relevant. Shielding has nothing to do with feedback. It's purpose is to cut down on unwanted pickup electronic hum or buzzing, which is caused by by RF and electro magnetic interference in the air. Feedback,or squealing as some might call it, is a different issue caused by the pickup coil wire vibrating, which is most usually cured by wax potting.
Spud1950

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts