[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - A new project bass

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

A new project bass

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Spellcaster » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

I just acquired an MIJ Ric 4001 copy that needs full restoration. It seems like Ric parts come with gold plated price tags and there's not much available aftermarket, so this'll be challenging. Like so many of these MIJ's, I have no idea what brand it might be. I had a new Univox 4001 clone back in 75 that was excellent, but this one (unlike the Univox) has a bolt-on 34" scale neck....So, not sure what this one is...

I know just enough to be dangerous...
Spellcaster

by Spellcaster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Wow, I'd forgotten that I had started this thread, and it's an oldie, so I apologize for resurrecting a zombie. I did the rescue/restoration over about three months. I don't gig regularly, so I only had a chance to try it once, but it worked out great. I bought new Rickenbacker pickups and bridge, Ric reproduction knobs and switch, and fabricated pickguard and trussrod cover. The cost ended up at 432.00, and an untold number of hours. It was necessary to part with it for financial reasons, and I sold it on craiglist last weekend in a matter of a few hours. Here's the finished product....

Spellcaster

by VintAxe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:40 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spellcaster » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but it pertains to this bass. I sold it to a friend on the mainland a few months ago, and he's just contacted me asking for information on truss rod adjustment. I didn't have to adjust the truss rod when I worked on it and was grateful, because it's something I don't know enough about to tamper with it. It's been months since I've even seen the bass and don't remember much - I think the truss rod adjusts at the headstock end, under the plastic cover, but I don't know what tools are required or what the procedure is. Has anybody out there got a lawsuit 4001 bass that's done this and can enlighten me? I'd appreciate any info you have.
Spellcaster

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts