The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help me indentify these!

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by TKASPAR » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

New member of Vintaxe here. Through an amazing stroke of luck the recording studio I work at has been offered a choice of some really amazing vintage guitars. I wondered if you kind folks could help me identify/give me some info on these guitars. (see attached photos)

Any info, model, date, etc would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

x
Attachments
file3.jpeg
file2-1.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg
file-3.jpeg
TKASPAR

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Wow, nice collection of jazz boxes you've got there TKASPAR 8)

I'm no expert on these guitars but I suggest you find one to value them for you. They are all top of line instruments and need to be properly identified and valued by an expert.

Your first Gibson is an ES 175D probably from the mid 1960's. Find the serial number and you can determine the date by searching a Gibson serial number archive.

The D Angelico New Yorker is probably also from the 1960's and is potentially a very valuable guitar. D Angelico guitars are widely recognized as the finest instruments of their type and definitely sought after by collectors.

The Gibson Barney Kessel Custom is also probably a 1960's build. Check the serial number on this one as well.

The D Aquisto was built by an apprentice of D Angelico and are also valuable and sought after instruments. His version of the New Yorker has a strong following among jazz guitar players. Just a historical note, D Angelico died in 1964 at the age of 59. His student D Aquisto died in 1995, also at the age of 59. Two great artists in the craft of guitar building.

Good luck purchasing any of these guitars, they are all investment grade instruments.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by TKASPAR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks! This is really helpful and can guide some further research.

Many thanks for the advice
TKASPAR

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts