[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Twin neck has arrived

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Twin neck has arrived

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Say No To Vorderman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:26 am

Arrived this morning....feels and looks nice..haven't plugged it in yet as i don't want to anger the girlfriend any more than this arrival has already :lol:

Say No To Vorderman

by jedistar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Intereting - are those bass controls on top going to be a problem for your forearm? I like to lean on the top - I can imagine scraping them..
jedistar

by Say No To Vorderman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:14 pm

my son came round today and we plugged it in before he took it away. sounded pretty decent actually although it was just through a 100w Trace Elliot Bass combo..he's going to play around with it for a few days and we might get the necks varnished next week as they'll get filthy in no time..guy in the bass shop reckons they're made of "bass wood"..i've heard people talk about bass wood but have been too embarrassed to ask if that's a type of wood or just a jargon term for cheap wood :lol: not yet worked out exactly what the switches all do :lol:
all in all i'm pretty happy with it for the money 8)
Say No To Vorderman

by mrblanche » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:49 am

Basswood is a fairly common soft hardwood, grown in the northern United States. It's used a lot in furniture. It's known for its creamy color and straight grain.
mrblanche

by VintAxe » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:05 pm

Hey mrblanche,

Do you know whether bass wood is considered to be a reasonably stable wood for a guitar neck. I'm old school, all I know about is maple or mahogany. I've heard of bass wood used for bodies, but not necks. What are your thoughts given it's considered a "soft" hardwood? sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mrblanche » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 am

It's used for necks. Keep in mind that "soft" and "hard" woods are relative terms. And the strongest wood known to man is paulownia...but that is just in comparison to its weight.

The strongest wood would probably be oak, but you wouldn't want it for a guitar neck, due to the weight. And you wouldn't want a paulownia or balsa neck (both of which are hardwoods); it would have to be too large to be strong enough.

I suspect basswood is not uncommon in necks. But it's not particularly pretty, compared to birds-eye maple, which would be my first choice.
mrblanche

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts