[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Hi all, 1934 Martin f-hole care and restoration?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hi all, 1934 Martin f-hole care and restoration?

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bextreme » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:48 pm

I have an arched top 1934 Martin that allot of young guys like to play. I need some insight on some work that needs done, currently it has new keys, i do have the original, (1) The first 5 or so frets are worn, should i just replace the worn ones or all? (2) The nut needs replaced, where can i get a new one? (3) This is missing the pick guard, where do you think I could find the original? (4) the body does have a little warpage, I have been using some type of soft wound strings, any more specific suggestions on strings?
I like this instument, it has lotts of history with me and the previous owner. This guitar has been in hiding for the last 4 years, i was asked to bring it out. It needs to be played again.
Thanks
Bruce...
bextreme

by VintAxe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi bextreme,

In terms of the refret, I think it depends on how closely you can match the original wire. A refret does reduce the value of a vintage instrument, however, a vintage guitar that can't be played due to worn frets is even less valuable. Find a luthier that understands vintage guitars. He can help you make a decision about the frets after inspecting your guitar. He will also be able to cut a new nut for you out of the same material used for the original nut.

Finding an original pickguard will be extremely difficult. Research the pickguard shape using old catalogs or pictures and have a new one made from material as close to original as possible. A good luthier can likely do this for you as well. For strings, just use the lightest gauge you are comfortable playing.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by bextreme » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:41 pm

bextreme

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts