[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1966 Kalamazoo project

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1966 Kalamazoo project

Post here if you have an instrument rescue tale, a current restoration project, a vintage instrument acquisition, a prized instrument, an unusual guitar or a guitar story to share with visitors

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by windofdeth » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:20 pm

This is my 1966 Gibson Kalamazoo that my dad bought from a friend in college in 19 . He never played it much and for the longest time it sat in the attic gathering dust. I found it cleaned it up, put new strings on it and it played like new for awhile. But recently I've noticed the sound quality going down and traced the problem to the pickup. I researched it and found that the KG-1, has 1 single coil "melody maker" pickup. I love the sound of this guitar and would love to replace it with another melody maker, though if there is a newer pickup that has the same tone quality as the original I'd like your opinions on if I should have a new pickup installed or an older one. I really love this guitar it was my first and I'd hate to not be able to play it anymore. Help! - Mike

windofdeth

by mrblanche » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:48 am

What exactly is the sound problem? You may be able to solve the problem yourself, perhaps by wax potting it or by making sure all the connections are good.
mrblanche

by simonm » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 am

Getting the pickup rewound isn't necessarily hugely expensive, but there are a Melody Maker pickups on ebay quite regularly as a lot of people removed them in the past and routed the body for a humbucker or p90...
simonm

by windofdeth » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 am

windofdeth

by simonm » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am

simonm

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 am

I don't think re-winding is going to be your answer.

Is the pickups still strong? The bass tone is the only issue? NOT the treble?

Double-check the connection on the tone cap/pot before anything.

I had one of these for a while, and it too was super jangly... which was what i wanted, incidentally... even when i flattened the tone, it didn't get toooo mellow. you're playing with a single bridge pickup there. from my experience with this model, its just the nature of the beast to be on the brighter side.
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:24 pm

It looks to me like you could put pretty much any single coil Strat-type pickup in there. If you wanted to keep the white cover you could search for an old Lace Sensor on eBay. If it were me I think I'd try a Bill Lawrence L-290S or L298S. Or, if you want to spend less, try one of these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/5albostpi1.html

Obviously you're not preserving collector value this way, but that's sort of only a concern if you're planning on selling it, no?

But I'm kind of with Michael -- I'd check to make sure that everything is wired correctly, and consider the possibility that that's just the way that pickup sounds.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by windofdeth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 am

I have checked the connections again but it still is a little too jangly also the has been a huge problem with static feedback from the guitar, I'm thinking of buying a newer melody maker pick up and see if that works
windofdeth

Return to General Guitar Discussion

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts